Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Do you guys have any notebook lock suggestions. I bought the Kensington, Combosaver Notebook Combination lock and it doesn't seem to fit my macbook pro.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
This thread should be renamed "The Official DJAKO Questions Unrelated to Each Other Thread"

:D

The notebook locks on Apple's web site and/or at the Apple store should work fine.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
This thread should be renamed "The Official DJAKO Questions Unrelated to Each Other Thread"

:D

The notebook locks on Apple's web site and/or at the Apple store should work fine.
haha, I'm sorry for so many unrelated questions :(

Thanks for being so helpful you guys.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Is there anything special I should install on my mac to read PDF files?

No. Macs come with a program called Preview that, among other things, reads PDF files (and quite fast compared to Acrobat, on either a PC or Mac). Also, Mac OS X comes standard with the ability to create PDF files from any program, simply by going to File -> Print, and clicking on the "PDF" button in the printer dialog.

Before you install any third party programs, its always a good idea to just try and open a file and see if it works. If it doesn't, then ask here.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Last question for now ;)

How should I charge my battery. Is it bad to plug it back in when it's only at like 80 percent and leave it charged? Or should I only charge it when I absolutely need to?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
How should I charge my battery. Is it bad to plug it back in when it's only at like 80 percent and leave it charged? Or should I only charge it when I absolutely need to?

Quite the opposite: you should only run off your battery when you absolutely need to. Have your computer plugged it at all times possible.

Your computer is intelligent, it will know when your battery is fully charged, stop charging it, and run off the power adapter. The more you use your battery over time, the less power it holds. If you use your battery constantly, in 4 or 5 years or so your computer will barely be able to run off the battery for a half hour.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Quite the opposite: you should only run off your battery when you absolutely need to. Have your computer plugged it at all times possible.

Your computer is intelligent, it will know when your battery is fully charged, stop charging it, and run off the power adapter. The more you use your battery over time, the less power it holds. If you use your battery constantly, in 4 or 5 years or so your computer will barely be able to run off the battery for a half hour.

Ok good, that's what I always do :)

I always leave it plugged in when in my room. Just in class it runs on the battery.

You have been very helpful. Thank you

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Is there anyway to turn off the font smoothing all together? I see how to do it for specific sizes and below, but can't find if you can take it off competely.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
djako gl with your new mac, I am getting my first one soon too. I will probably have just as many questions as you do.

But I have been on here reading and asking questions for awhile now. Everyone here seems so helpful and kind.

Gl

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ok good, that's what I always do :)

I always leave it plugged in when in my room. Just in class it runs on the battery.

You have been very helpful. Thank you

Make sure you calibrate the battery every couple of months to keep it in good health. I'd suggest making an effort to get the charge down low once in a while too just to keep the battery "moving." Batteries like to be used so every now and then make an effort to put your laptop through its paces unplugged.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I meant like a dropdown though, of all the recent sites.

I know the menu you mean, and in Safari there is one, however... funny story... My GF (Who at this point had never used a Mac) decided to look at what id been looking at on the net and she got that menu up, only thing is, I cant remember how... lemme work on that one. I'd never seen the bloody thing before

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
closed lid mode

iChat only lists the contacts as online / idle / offline.

It's not like AIM where you can have groups etc. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Quick question for an external monitor. How do I setup my mac, so when I close the lid it will display the screen on my other monitor. I have everything setup, so I can have an extended monitor and mirror each other. I just can't figure out how to have it show up on the external monitor when I close my mac.

Thanks
To get the display output when the lid is closed you need to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse it will automatically output with any input. It should work with usb keyboard and mouse, but I have never used that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.