New Mac Platformer

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chris_Evans, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Chris_Evans macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm the Programmer / Director at Outside the Box Software and we just unveiled our platformer for the Mac, Pow Pow's Great Adventure.

I'm looking forward to releasing our game on the Mac. Mac gamers have always been very friendly to Independent developers. :) Reminds me of the early 90s when computer developers and players had a better connection with each other.

Anyway, our game won't be out for another 2 months, but any comments are welcome. :) Also, don't forget to check out games from other Independent developers as well!

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The game looks awesome! I love the game style you chose... it could be played by many ages. One thing that I noticed immediately from the movie was the low FPS... is that just because its an early beta? What system was that being played on? I personally find games like that very difficult to play if they have low FPS.

Also, i noticed that its rather difficult to distinguish the main character (Pow Pow?) from the backgrounds in many of the environments. Perhaps you could give him an outline to help make him stand out?

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Freakin' awesome. Other than Rayman 3, there isn't much of this genre to be seen on the Mac.

.....not to mention I can't find Rayman 3 anyway. :-/

4. Chris_Evans thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! :)

@crazzyeddie

The game is still in early beta, but the main reason the FPS is slow in the video is due to the capture method. The video capture method used slowed the frame rate down. In future video clips, we'll try to make it a little smoother.

It's funny mention you mention the character outlines. Our original place-holder character had black outlines, but he looked like he was "pasted" onto the screen. So we decided to make the outlines colored, so he would blend into the environment better. Hehe, so it's funny now that you say he blends in too much. :)

@neoelectronaut

Yeah, there's just a lack of platformers period. It's funny not too long ago computer games were overrun with 2D side-scrollers. Now trying to find a decent platformer is a needle in a haystack.