New Mac Pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CableGod, Nov 25, 2008.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta area
    #1
    I want a new Mac pro (Amazon has it for 24 months, no interest right now, and I can pay it off way before then). Does anyone have any idea when a new version will be released with the new Nehalem Xeon CPU? I'd hate to buy one now and have them release a new one a couple of months down the line. Thanks everyone.
     
  2. Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #2
    People are hoping/expecting January. As ever, there are no guarantees.
     
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta area
    #3
    Thanks, I'm leaning towards waiting it out. The one in my sig is my workstation at work, and it convinced me that I needed one at home.
     
  4. macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #4
    Do you do what you do at work at home? If not, don't waste your money on something six times as powerful as you need.

    If so, of course, have at thee.
     
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta area
    #5
    Yes, I do for the most part. Many VM's (test labs and scenarios) and some encoding/CS4 work,along with some gaming is most of what I do at home.
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2002
    #6
    wait. buy it later.
     
  7. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    #7
    If you need it now, buy, if you can wait, wait. :) Seems like a simple answer but is based on whether you can wait or not.

    I just purchased a new MacPro. I need a machine now and I personally can't wait until Jan-March availability (from what I read, anytime in that range). I also concluded that while the new MacPro's will be faster, for what I need to do the current one is plenty powerful for me.
     
  8. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    Yeah I agree if you really need it badly buy it now otherwise wait.

    I've been waiting since August, hopefully it comes out in January but at this point that seems unlikely although mid Febuary to March seems more realistic.

    Till then I have to work on my 3D work on a 1.8GHz P4 :(
     
  9. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    #9
    I think from introduction to actual release date is at least 6 to 8 weeks. So if it was introduced today it would be 2 months untill release wich would be beginning of February.

    But if not introduced befor January/February i guess it will not be released befor March/April.
     
  10. Roy
    macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    #10
    And what history of the Mac Pro are you looking at?
     
  11. macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #11
    Probably the current one. Penryn Xeons were let loose in November 2007; the Penryn Mac Pro came out in January 2008.
     

Share This Page