new mac pro problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by logicpro7, Oct 22, 2006.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

i just have a few questions about my new mac pro

when i start up my tower by pressing the power button there seems to be a strange electrical noise? now i dont know if this is normal or not but it is a similar sound like when you have a loose connection in a mains plug a sort of "szzzzzz" :D sound only for a second or two.

also i have a bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse and if my mouse is more than a meter away from the tower the on screen pointer seems to stutter when it is moved if i move it closer to the tower its fine?

is this normal or do you think there is a problem with the bluetooth signal or device? or some sort of interference?
    :confused:

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I think the noise is absolutely fine - mine makes it, and it seems to me to be the PSU getting up to speed.

As for the bluetooth, I think the aerial is on the bottom of the unit, so it's not the best placement...

David

3. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

There a few quality issues with the Mac Pro, the like CD drawer tray not closing all the way, but they are few and far between. The bluetooth issue you mentioned is by far the biggest reported problem with the Mac Pro. You'll have to disconnect the antenna from your bluetooth module and replace it with the wire that is labeled "1." There is a "Mac Pro bluetooth problems" thread in here somewhere, I suggest you check it out. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you can take it to an Apple store and tell the "geniuses" those instructions. They won't know about the problem or the fix because Apple has yet to come clean about it.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1) mine makes the same weird electrical noise too when I power up.

2) I had a bluetooth & airport problem. Apple forgot to install the BTO option so they aren't there. So not really a mac pro issue for me

3) Hard Drive noise, never have I had a computer whose hard drive made so much noise when being accessed. Shockingly loud, yet other than that the machine is v.quiet

Other than that nothing major. I did have a weird issue with start up time. It took 45 seconds to boot ? A disk repair from start up disc seems to have solved the issue.

5. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mine also takes around 45 seconds to start up from pressing the power button.

but the weird thing is i have my msn messenger in my start up and it always fails to sign in as the airport seems to connect after?after clicking retry it connects no problem.

6. Latisha macrumors newbie

Problems with mine:

Wierd headphone jack issues (iChat noise plays and there is a high-pitched whine following it; only happens in Mac OS X)

Random airport issues.

Otherwise it kicks ass.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Try the fix that worked for me. Boot from your install discs by holding down C. When installation screen appears select english, then from the next screen ignore the installation routine and go to utilities. Simpy run disk utility / disk repair. mine said it found no errors, then exit disk utlity and go into startup and double click on OS X folder - even if its already selected. Then restart. That made my mac pro boot inside 15 seconds.

8. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excellent,fixed the slow start up problem.it now boots within 15 seconds.
    the msn messenger still fails to connect on start up it seems like the airport network is not loading before msn? also my airport signal is weak (4 bars) even though the router is in the same room about 12 feet away.

on the bluetooth front it looks like they may have connected the BT wire instead of wire 1 based on reports from this forum.

9. vinylator macrumors newbie

Mine also makes the weird electrical noise at startup...

10. saltrack25 macrumors newbie

saltrack25

Slow Start up on Mac Pro

That solution works! But make sure to use the Install Disk that came with your computer, not the Leopard CD. You will know because it will be a folder that is selected for the start up disk, and not your icon for the HD. This saved my butt thanks a lot!