Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a new cylinder style Mac Pro

• Yes, I love it, this is all I need

Votes: 86 55.5%
  • No, I hate it, its just a big mac mini

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • No, I need a way to keep it all my components in one box

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • No, I hate extra cables and power supply on my desk from extra components

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No, see my explanation below

Votes: 24 15.5%

• Total voters

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
...While I still stand by my NO vote, if one of you pro nMP would buy one and give it to me, I would accept it :D

Or similar improvements to the 'value' assessment.

In my case, I'd ask that whoever's providing the Tube also include 20TB worth of attached local storage too.

-hh

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I could do with something better than my mini - so will probably either get a new iMac or used Mac Pro when people start to upgrade and their used Mac Pros come on the market. But it depends on the price.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
No for me as well. My immediate needs are for a server to host a number of virtual machines.

Interesting - one thing people aren't pointing out is that the new Pro also, presumably, marks the demise of the Mac Pro Server.

However, I've never quite seen the point of Intel Macs as dedicated servers - OS X is a great 'jack of all trades' OS if you want a Unix system with better GUI than Linux and the ability to run industry-standard server software and industry-standard desktop software, but as soon as you unplug the display and mouse you might as well be running Linux. Oh, and good looks don't count for anything in the server rack.

The Mac Mini server fills a niche as a server for small Mac-dominated workgroups who want AFP shares and centralised Time Machine backups - move beyond that and you'll probably be better off with PC server hardware using cross-platform standards.

Back in the PPC days it was different - the xServe could offer something completely different architecture-wise. The lack of per-seat license fees was more of a big deal before Linux was so well established, and desktop Macs weren't so good at talking to Windows (not to mention Netware) servers.

...as for the big question?
It depends what I'm working on in 6 months time. However, in a world with USB3 and Thunderbolt, I don't think I'll buy another 'big box' computer like the old Mac Pro - I'd go for either a laptop, Mac Mini or New Mac Pro depending on what my graphics/processing needs were, then add external storage...

Sebastian85

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
Nah.

After the fiasco earlier this year when a mac pro upgrade was delayed, i made the move and migrated to W7 for my music production and design/illustration. Haven't had a problem with it, and the simple fact is that i can build a better workstation for half the money i'd spend on the Pro. Experiences with Macbook Pros have proven to me that arguments that once upon a time were true (longer life cycles, durable) are no longer accurate about the Macbooks or iMacs. I find this new concept to be one of the biggest letdowns Apple's done in a long while.

I'm a happy Windows-user now, and this product only confirms my belief that i switched at the right time.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
did not vote but more then likely. I'm not happy about the way the storage is. I liked how I could fit in a 4 HDD on the old MP; now my desk will be cluttered with external drives.
I hope apple releases a new retina display and I hope I can run FCP 7. I need it for some work.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Believe it or not, there are people who buy Macs with no intention of ever running OSX. They just like the hardware....

Thats a lot of money for pretty HW but I'm sure it's true.

I know a CG animator in Tokyo who did that with SGI equipment. He bought a bunch of pretty SGI machines and set them around the front office. Some were never even plugged in. Then in the back room he toiled away on 7 DIY ragged looking (some case-less) Wintel machines making his animations. I bet some of you have seen some of his commercials even abroad - so I guess it worked. :)

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Interesting - one thing people aren't pointing out is that the new Pro also, presumably, marks the demise of the Mac Pro Server.

Not sure what quantitatively based rationale would support that. The number of deployed Mac OS X units went up after the Mac mini became the primary deployment platform in the period after the demise of the XServe.
The current Mac Pro isn't the dominate OS X Server platform so a change in that secondary one isn't likely going to trigger a demise.

In contrast, this actually aligns the Mac Pro with the external storage solutions that the Mac Mini would use for larger bulk storage duties also. Both Macs on same solution is more likely to create synergy than demise.

Same thing was trotted out when XServe was discontinued ... Mac OS X Server is going to die quickly without the XServe. The exact opposite happened with the adjustments Apple made. OS X Server's success is not necessarily driven by driving other entrenched solutions out of the server room. " We have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose.." was uttered in 1997 and there are still folks fully gripped to that notion.

However, I've never quite seen the point of Intel Macs as dedicated servers - OS X is a great 'jack of all trades' OS if you want a Unix system with better GUI than Linux .... Oh, and good looks don't count for anything in the server rack.

OS X Server is far more so competing with Windows Server than Unix/Linux. In the Mac Pro case probably tilted more to the Unix/Linux, but for many small businesses there is no server rack. Nor any full time admin.

The Mac Mini server fills a niche as a server for small Mac-dominated workgroups who want AFP shares and centralised Time Machine backups - move beyond that and you'll probably be better off with PC server hardware using cross-platform standards.

OS X Server configs nominally deferring to Active Directory for authentication and with Mavericks clients shifting to SMD share as the default file share is highly indicative of how not cross platform most folks set-ups are.

Purely just file sharing though is a slipper slope. Deadicated NAS boxes ( Synology , QNAP ,etc. ) are increasingly capable of doing this kind of work. Even Time Machine duties with a mounted image file.

The lack of per-seat license fees was more of a big deal before Linux was so well established, and desktop Macs weren't so good at talking to Windows (not to mention Netware) servers.

It isn't Linux's lack of per seat charges as much as SAMBA , Apache, OpenLDAP, etc. lack of per seat charges. The facts are both Mac OS X and Linux were using the same stuff. Apple 'forked' a few of those both pragmatically (with slower release cycles) and more overtly ( OpenDirectory fork of OpenLDAP).

At this point, OS X Server is a bit more "honest" now in that it is sold as just a set of Apps layered on top of the standard OS. Most of those opensource based server services apps the OS X ports still exist even if Apple isn't directly doing them.

It isn't the services per se. The difference far more at the lower end of the OS interfaces. Drivers to a wider variety of server cards. More ports of back end software like DBMS that have low level interfaces.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Strange poll, 4 no's, 1 yes an not a single maybe.

Depends upon see what the motivation was. As a market measuring device it is deeply flawed. It isn't so much a "maybe" , but undecided ( not enough information) option.

The primary purpose of the poll though is to generate the postings for "no" option 4 which required folks to list it below. (the other three no's highly overlap with external and therefore cables context of the mini). The skew is indicative probably expecting the opposite yes/no breakdown.

Anyway, it will all depend on the specs, the price and the overall performance before I make my decision.

That's is probably what is tipping the scales to the "yes" side with folks who presume that the prices will be about the same as now and the performance better in the single CPU package space (since newer parts).

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Your "hate" comes across in your biased poll options. All "No" votes and just one "Yes" vote? What a joke. Fact is we don't know the end configuration nor the price, so you should have had at least one "Maybe" selection.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Some people will hold off purchasing the new Mac Pro with a wait and see approach but eventually most folks who actually need a Pro machine will probably have one of these or a future revision sitting on their desk.

Personally, I can't imagine having to deal with Windows as my main OS.

Take my money Apple. :D

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Same thing was trotted out when XServe was discontinued ... Mac OS X Server is going to die quickly without the XServe.

I was talking about the "Server" model of the Mac Pro - not the OS X server software - I'm sure OSX Server will continue, since the Mac Mini Server seems like a success. However, since Lion the emphasis of OS X server has shifted distinctly towards the "small workgroup server" rather than "big iron server" (see the wails from SL Server users when Lion came out). I suspect that, for many people, the Time Machine facilities will be the USP.

In contrast, this actually aligns the Mac Pro with the external storage solutions that the Mac Mini would use for larger bulk storage duties also.

Fine - the issue with the new Mac Pro as a server is that 2/3 of the beast is filled with expensive "workstation-class" graphics cards that won't do much good in a headless server.

(Mind you, a quick Google shows that OpenCL-accelerated DBMSs, webservers etc. are being developed so I wouldn't count it out in the longer term - but here and now...)

OS X Server configs nominally deferring to Active Directory for authentication and with Mavericks clients shifting to SMD share as the default file share is highly indicative of how not cross platform most folks set-ups are.

How are SMB and Active Directory not cross-platform c.f. the protocols that Apple have used previously? They may have originated from Windows, and MS may not be too chuffed with Samba, but they're pretty much industry standard.

td2243

Cancelled
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Definitely not. I want an expandable and upgradeable machine like the 2009-2010-2012, with space for at least 4 harddrives, a PCI-e graphics card and a blu-ray burner. I have never been so disappointed about a "Pro" machine as now.

Right now, I'm also leaning in this direction. I'm using a hand-me-down MBP for the time being and I hate the clutter of wires I'm forced to use with several external HD's. That won't get any better I'm guessing with the new MP. I don't need a blu-ray burner, but internal HD's always look sleeker. Since the only internal HD on the new MP will be SDD, I'm not forking over $1000 to get a measly 1GB SDD drive, or whatever they cost.

Apple designs what they want people to use and we can decide whether it fits our wants/needs or not. Easy as that. It isn't a "I hate Apple" thing at all. My wife and I simply don't make much money, so I want to spend my money wisely. The option of upgradability no longer a concern for Apple, but it is to me.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I was talking about the "Server" model of the Mac Pro - not the OS X server software - I'm sure OSX Server will continue, since the Mac Mini Server seems like a success. However, since Lion the emphasis of OS X server has shifted distinctly towards the "small workgroup server" rather than "big iron server" (see the wails from SL Server users when Lion came out). I suspect that, for many people, the Time Machine facilities will be the USP.

Small home environments are going to fit TimeCapsule or AirportExtreme (given it can take a USB drive) if TimeMachine is the one and only primary criteria.

Small workgroup is generally more indicative of number of people not the individual workloads each one puts onto the server.

For example, At one point ActiveSan had (or was going to have) a product called InnerPool ( company didn't survive so to pointing to FAQ elsewhere. Essentially a sizable chunk of those folks got absorbed by Quantum/StorNext).

http://www.xsanity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46623#46623

It put the XSan metadata controller on a single card with and SSD. The new Mac Pro is a bit more than a single card with SSD but for some workgroups it would work better as a Metadata server ( more CPU horesepower, dual Ethernet connections so that one could be on dedicated metadata VLAN. ) than a mini would. It is metadata that is being stored so it isn't an issue of bulk data inside the device for a reasonably sized XSan workgroup deployment.

It while number of people isn't completely decoupled from how much workload they throw at the metadata server a relatively small number of users with lots of metadata blocks to grab and/or manipulate can invoke a workload that could test a limited Mac Mini. High user concurrent loads tend to lead to higher server workloads.

With the new direction that Apple is taking with the new Mac Pro I don't think they are going to terminate XSan anytime soon. The new Mac Pro may be an oddball for rack based SAN farm but the Mac mini isn't a perfect fit out of the box either.

Similar issues for new Mac Pro versus mini if running as a ZFS "head node". ( http://getgreenbytes.com/solutions/zevo/ ). The server side computational levels are high. It doesn't necessarily have to be just file serving duties; ZFS is just illustrative that there more than just XSan metadata workload even in file system space. In short, it is just server side computational requirements that would separate a Mac Pro Server from a Mac Mini server. [ I know some will view the difference between the two purely as a internal storage capacity difference but I think that is warped viewpoint. ]

The Server version of the mini is just a configuration different SKU. The bulk of the device is the same. The configuration skew Apple could do with a Mac Pro Server model is possibly drop the second GPU. It isn't likely to be useful in most server contexts. They could swap that BOM cost decrease for a SSD capacity increase or just a general price reduction ( would not hold breath on the latter).

Alternatively, they could swap the 2nd GPU for a drive card. Server OS/Apps on RAID 1 would have as much service uptime as a mini in mirror mode. [ It doesn't look like there is room for a 2.5" ( unless super ultra slim) on a card, but a second SSD would provide redundancy/capacity with not a whole lot of drama. It is just a cut down version of the GPU card with the drive slot on it; just remove the GPU stuff. It will be a smaller, cheaper card with mainly "delete this stuff" engineering. ]

Fine - the issue with the new Mac Pro as a server is that 2/3 of the beast is filled with expensive "workstation-class" graphics cards that won't do much good in a headless server.

OS X has terminal server like capabilities. It isn't necessarily headless from a "logged in and using graphics on server" point of view.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/31/mac_os_x_10_7_lion_to_introduce_multi_user_screen_sharing

Nor as I pointed out.... does there have to be two GPU cards present if it is a separate SKU sold with with OS X Server App bundled.

VNC over a hardwired 1GbE local LAN link isn't that bad for alot usages. ( of course in the distant past I've used 300 baud modems and X Windows over 10Mb/s Ethernet to get remote work so may have a different, more appreciative, perspective. )

(Mind you, a quick Google shows that OpenCL-accelerated DBMSs, webservers etc. are being developed so I wouldn't count it out in the longer term - but here and now...)

Webservers no. DBMS not so sure.

How are SMB and Active Directory not cross-platform c.f. the protocols that Apple have used previously?

How long did it take SAMBA to match all of the latest updates to AD (primary domain controller ,etc) and to SMB 3.0 (formerly 2.2 ) ?

They may have originated from Windows, and MS may not be too chuffed with Samba, but they're pretty much industry standard.

There are defacto standards that are reverse engineering and eventually dribbled out to multiple platforms. That is a huge stretch of "cross platform" definition. For significant blocks of time the standard as it evolves only works on one platform. Then folks uncork that and Microsoft tweaks them again. Rise and repeat. But yeah if you lag sufficiently far behind when the standard is deployed on Windows.... yes it is effectively cross platform.

If Windows wasn't the overwhelming dominant player that wouldn't be happening. That at only adds to point to with what OS X Server is actually primarily competing with.

It is questionable Apple is going to be able to keep up with this over time. They may have been frustrated by SAMBA development decisions but they still have to prove they can actually keep up with the Microsoft treadmill.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
No I won't buy one. The reason being has nothing to do with the design. I purchased a new 5.1 only 4 months ago and I'm very happy with it. Also, if I were inclined to buy a nMP, I'd have to wait until all the kinks are worked out, third party devices are abundant and affordable, and my current machine no longer keeps me happy.

If I hadn't already purchased the current model (and not regretting it), I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the price is right.

Ezlivin

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I've been waiting for a new Mac Pro

I always get the newest top-of-the-line Mac Pro every seven years. My Mac Pro 1,1 has been a good machine, but it's time to make way for the future.

I'm very interested in the new Mac and am equally interested in what they've not yet told us.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I always get the newest top-of-the-line Mac Pro every seven years. My Mac Pro 1,1 has been a good machine, but it's time to make way for the future.

I'm very interested in the new Mac and am equally interested in what they've not yet told us.

So this will be you're second MP. How is that always?

slakjaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
I want one. Depending on price, this thing would be perfect for me. I use 2 Drobo 5D's on thunderbolt, 2 monitors, and one external SSD via thunderbolt. I do photo and video work. Different strokes for different folks I guess because to me its like the perfect desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.