new Mac procedure: format/reinstall or uninstall/DeLocalizer?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nina, Jun 2, 2004.

1. nina macrumors member

Hello, all!

I'm waiting for the delivery of my FIRST Mac - a new 12" stock Powerbook 1.33GHz! I can't wait for it to come!

Some time ago, a poster wrote that he always did a clean format and reinstall of the OS with every new machine he got. He said something about the factory installs being buggy or something.

Is this necessary? I have to calibrate the battery anyways, so I could spend some time doing an OS reinstall to run the battery down. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of apps that I'm going to want to trash from the default install as well. Finally, I'm going to have to run DeLocalizer to trash all of the localization files that I won't be using.

So, I'm wondering what you guys think would be easier: formatting and doing a custom install of the OS right away excluding stuff I don't need, or taking stuff out of the factory install that's going to be on my machine in the first place?

Thanks!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I usually do a complete reinstall when I get a new Mac (granted I've only had two). Mainly because I'm a level 6 paranoid person (out of 10) and I always think "hey what if somebody at the factory installed some weird thing to log my keys or something". It probably realistically won't be the case but that's what paranoia makes you do. :) That and when you do a complete reinstall you don't have to install everything. Yes you can delete programs you won't use afterwards but then there's some miscellaneous files that get left in various directories (they're only a few k each probably but...).

So I would do a complete reinstall. But that's just me. It *really* doesn't matter which route you go. Another good thing about a complete reinstall is you can verify that your install disks work should you have to reinstall in a few years. At least you'll know you're install disks work properly.