New Mac Pros and Mac Minis Launching in August

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CNet's Brian Tong has revealed on Twitter that "all new" next generation Mac Pros and Mac minis will arrive in late July or early August.
    Tong previously accurately predicted the arrival of new iMacs in the "end of April or 1st week of May". The iMacs did arrive in the 1st week of May as predicted. Tong indicates his source for the Mac Pro and Mac Mini updates are the same as for the iMac updates.

No details are provided on the specs of the machines besides the expected incorporation of Thunderbolt and Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Article Link: New Mac Pros and Mac Minis Launching August

2. macrumors regular

ugru

3. macrumors G4

*LTD*

This is impossible. Not happening.

Apple's only supposed to care about "iToys" and nothing else. They don't care about Macs anymore.

4. macrumors 68030

MagicBoy

5. macrumors member

GoldMan

Can i plug my own screen and etc. to the mac mini?

6. macrumors 68030

MagicBoy

Yep. They've always been BYODKM (Bring you own display, keyboard and Mouse).

7. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

How else would you see what you're doing?

8. macrumors 65832

kalsta

That all depends on what kind of etc you own, and whether it has the right connectors.

There's even an acronym for that now? Wow.

9. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bet the Mac Pro will be redesigned into a rack-mountable case. It's been a looooong time since a major redesign.

10. macrumors 601

Umbongo

It should be noted that the LGA 2011 processors that the Mac Pros will use aren't scheduled for release until Q4, so Apple getting them 2 months early seems unlikely.

11. macrumors 68030

MagicBoy

I think Apple coined it with the original Mac mini back when.

12. macrumors member

13. macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

nearly 8 years

14. macrumors 65816

Remove the optical drive bay, remove a couple PCIe slots, add a few Thunderbolt ports, add a couple 2.5" drive bays, and make everything SATA3. Shrink the size by half.

15. macrumors newbie

Is it just me, or Apple doesn't seem to care about the MacBooks anymore. Those Machines are stock with a Core Dual Processor. I like the MacBooks a lot, due to the way it looks, but like I said, seems like Apple doesn't care about them anymore!

16. macrumors 601

Umbongo

Why?

17. macrumors 6502

Atlantico

All-new next-gen Mac Pros? If by that, they mean a Mac Pro with a Thunderbolt connector and no Ivy Bridge, then yes. (i.e. the same Mac Pro, with a T-bolt)

No Ivy Bridge, no BD, no USB3... but with a Magic Trackpad option!

Apple releases Mac Pro upgrades in 18-20 month intervals these days. IT and workstations is dead to them.

After all their new OS supports that all-important IT and workstations feature: improved gestures, app store and launchpad. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502

I learned that an iMac 27 with i7 processor is NOT a replacement for Mac Pro. I'm looking forward to a faster Mac Pro with Thunderbolt.
    My 2009 Mac Pro will go on sale as soon as the new models become available.

19. macrumors regular

So does this mean that Mini's and Pro's are released later than Lion, or that Lion will launch later than expected? (although, ofcourse, late july is still an option) Will MBA's be released along with Lion or with these machines?
    Is there any significance in the fact that he said 'ALL NEW next-gen' instead of merely 'next-gen'?

20. macrumors 6502

Atlantico

That's the current track record, Macs on maintenance upgrades (i.e. uninspired and minimal), but I for one always live in the hope that Apple wakes up from this iOS disaster (from the POV of a Mac user) and start treating the Macintosh like a tier one platform, worthy of all their attention.

Actually I'm just expecting minis and Mac Pros with T-bolts, and that's it. Nothing interesting, just maintenance. :cool:

21. macrumors 68040

Someone needs to relearn how to count.

22. macrumors member

How do you know Apple will use them? And how do you know Apple will not get them early?

23. daneoni, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

macrumors G4

daneoni

We already have MacBook Pro/Airs and Minis

24. macrumors 601

Icaras

No, Lion is launching in July, as stated by the keynote and the website. If the new machines are launched in August, then yes, they're launching after Lion. At this point, there's no way of telling exactly what week the MBAs could land on. It could very well land on the same day as the Lion launch. But if all three machines get an update in the same timeframe, I'd say that's a pretty rare instance. There's only another time that I remember Apple doing that a few years back.

I think you're reading too much into it. ;)

25. macrumors 6502a

I think the aluminum (heatsink) look will remain, and the shape may change somewhat as it has in the past. The interior has been redesigned multiples times in the last 8-9 years. Maybe a 3U-4U width depending on the orientation of the ODD, no where near the depth of a server. Possibly a special server configuration with rail mounts instead of handles.... almost has me wanting one just thinking about it.