New Mac set up recomendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by carpet, Feb 9, 2005.

1. carpet macrumors member

Jan 13, 2005
    OK, either the 17 inch iMac g5 with superdrive and 1.8 processor and the 12 inch pb. Or the mac mini with 20 inch apple display and 12 inch pb. Or the 15 inch pb and nothing else. What would you guys go for? Honestly the only reason i really like the 15inch pb is because it has a pci slot and i want to put a card reader for my cannon digital camera in there.
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    There's plenty of USB card readers in existence... And the 15'' doesn't have PCI, it's PCMCIA (laptop equivalent to PCI.. but totally different thing). I recommend a 20'' imac.. i know it wasnt one of the options you said.. but it's not really gonna cost you much more than the mac mini + 20'' screen
  3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    the iMac's the best computer by the specs; PB's if you need portability; as for the Mini, I don't know from any first-hand experience but I imagine you'd ideally want a nicer video card driving a 20" display (though I'm sure it will work with the 9200), and the iMac and PB both have one ... even the PB spanned with the 128 MB option is at least devoting more RAM to it than a Mini could, much more with true clamshell mode, true by half with the 64 MB card. I don't know how important this really is though, and I guess it depends on what you're doing. I just think the iMac is a lot more computer than the Mini, by the numbers.