Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
Glad you like it!

I use Golive and BBEdit mostly, along with photoshop.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Cool......

Top job my mac buddy...... looks cool..... I find that it works okay in both (ie netscape) browsers, although I've not been super vigilant....... so I'll let you know if I have problems aswell!!! ;)

Speaking of Apple rumor sites, I have a quick question (not sure whether it's relevant in this topic, but!!!) ........:

What made people choose Macrumors as their choosen discussion site??

I personally, although a newbie in terms of registering and posting, I've been following the site for quite awhile, I decided to join this forum as the people who were posted seemed really cool....... (okay I know you're all a fab bunch.... ) I felt like I'd known Eyelikeart, Alpha Tech, krossfyter, AmbitiousLemon, Hemingray, Beej, Macuser, Rower_CPU, Blakespot, and Mr arn for ages....... and you all (well most) seemed really intelligent....

Why did others join Macrumors instead of other Mac sites????

justa wondering thats all!!!!:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I like it! Clean design too. And another use of vBulletin. I've been thinking of installing that up on my site as well, how easy was it to get installed?

burningwheel

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2002
what bright colors? it looks kind of dull and washed out. i'd use a brigher blue, but then again i'd probably use a different color altogther. nice design though

best wishes

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Looks great, but I can't read a thing!

My CRT is at 1600x1200 and the blue text is way too small to read, it just fades into the white background. Sweet layout though.

Also, the forums have a very XP look to them (this is not a good thing).

burningwheel

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2002
you're right about it being hard to read. the text is too light on that background. sorry i didn't make that clear in my first post.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
iGAV, i chose MacRumors because it looked as it there were lots of intelligent posts and stuff. its the best Mac forum iv'e seen.

oh, by the way, powerbook i just had a look at your site. very good.

powerbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
Thanks for you feedback guys!! I am glad that the majority like the style of my new site! I was thinking of doing the apple OS X style, but then that is what almost everyone has done...

Seems like the biggest problem is the color scheme! I created the site on my lombard machine and haven't had time to look at the colors on other machines. I know that my powerbook normaly shows brighter colors than normal, so the blue color should be darker on most machines. On my powerbook I can read the text fine... , but it's important that everyone can read the site. Question: Do many experience the blue color to bright and hard to read? or is the text to small!!! I think the text size is currently at 10 pixels and the headlines at 9pixels.

Appreciate all the feedback I can get!!!!

Regarding other forums... personally I use several sites as I don't find one site enough to answer all my questions... There are many other forums out there, i.e. macnn, macosx, this one, appleinsider, macworld...
I think I am a member of all of them! Personally I wanted to start my own forum as I love macs and that I think its fun to use forums. If someone wants to become moderators at my forum they are more than welcome to join.

Thanks

powerbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
Just saw that I forgot to answer some questions...

The rollovers work in netscape as of golive version 6, if you have version 5 you can download a fix.

I use my own server with a fast 10MBit connection, so the site is ready for heavy traffic!

Hope that answers your questions...

burningwheel

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2002
the text size is perfect. it's only hard to read because the pale blue text blends in with the white backgrpound to some degree. i can read it but a darker blue would be better. but as i mentioned before i'd gowith another color altogether since many mac sites tend to a blue and kinda dull and boring. th world needs more color!:)

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
yeah...no problem reading the text from me. i also agree that darkening the blue a bit would help other people read it better. other than that its well done.

powerbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
OK, thanks for your comments! I have now darkened the font a bit. Have a look and let me know what you know think? Is it too dark now? it's really tricky with colors... The colors look very different on an iBook, lombard and an apple CRT screen.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It looks better, and not too dark, the blue comes through on my TiPB nicely. But what about the contrast on the nav section below, those are a little light.

Other than that, nice site:cool:

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
The darker text is much better, but still too small. I refuse to requent sites that won't let me adjust the size of the text (that's why I left the maccentral forums). I know it might ruin the layout when some idiot like me tries to view it at 1600x1200, but I'd rather be able to read it and have a messed up layout than to not be able to read it at all.

powerbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
I am glad that the new color is better!

Beej, are all the fonts to small or just certain ones? As I use CSS I don't think the browser is able to change the size. I will see what i can do.

powerbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
Beej, I would love some feedback on my last question... Thanks :)

I am still not so happy with the color, will probably change it soon!

powerbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
Hi again!

It's been a long time since I first started this thread... I just wanted to say that I have done many updates and modifications to the site and would love to get some new feedback if you have time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.