New Mac use Need Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TechZone, Dec 29, 2004.

1. TechZone macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Hi, Just got my new ibook 12". Thanks everyone for your help. I need some help.
    I am a new mac use. When I open an application, the application windows opens up very small. How can I make all the applications to open in full screen size?
    Also I installed 512mb ram. Is there any way I see that I have 768m ram in OS? I don't know the 512mb ram is working or not. Do you know any website for basic mac tutorial like how to install and unstall and other basic stiff? Please help me. Thanks. :)
  2. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    OS X doesn't have a maximize button like windows. The green button is zoom-in/zoom-out. However, if you manually make the window full-screen, it will remember that setting in the future.

About this Mac in the Apple menu (top left-hand corner of screen) will do that. Your iBook should have also come with an Apple Hardware Test CD that can run diagnostics on your Mac and give you more detailed information about it.

I don't know of any... MacRumors has been a great resource for me. is also a good site for comparing OS X to XP and I indirectly picked up a lot at that website. Lastly, David Pogue's book is a great introduction.
  3. TechZone thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Thanks for your help. Can you pls help me -

1. When I try to remove applicatins from docks it doesn't work. I tried - cltr+click, apple + click but didn't worked. How can do it??

3. How to import bookmarks in Safari or IE?

4. Can I charge the ibook when it is turned off?

Thanks everyone for your help.
  4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Drag the Application's icon off the dock. That will take it out.

When you plug the iBook into power, it will charge whether it is on or off.

Lee Tom
  5. TechZone thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Thanks for yur help. But still I am having problem.

I tired to remove application from docks. Still doesn't work.
    How to drag stuff in MAc? I tried - cltr+click, apple + click but didn't worked. Also When I try to click and move it, the application starts up. Realy don't know who to drag. Help me thans. :)
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Dunno about IE :p but for Safari, you can do it if you enable the Debug menu. This can be done via a command-line entry (see this link: or it can be done by installing PithHelmet (google for it). PithHelmet is worth getting in any event.

Once you enable the Debug menu, there is an import bookmark item there. You can also use the export bookmark item there to get the bookmarks in Safari into Firefox, etc.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Drag by pressing and holding the mouse or trackpad button while you move. How are you clicking? Try with the trackpad button as opposed to tapping. When you move the item off the dock, the items should rearrange around it so that they take up its space. Then when you let go it will poof and disappear.
  8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    your so new its funny :)

to install applications you usually double click on a disk image (the icon looks like a "document" icon with a picture of a hard drive on it.) and a window will open. drag the application in the window to your applications folder). or if the application has an installer you just double click on the installer and their you go.

for uninstalling just drag the application to the trash. however i usually do a search for the application. that way i can delete any preference files or application support files...if you uninstall this way however, you should make sure that the file your throwing out doesn't actually belong to another application. for instance if you wanted to uninstall photoshop and did a search for photoshop and trashed all would throw out some files that reside in the adobe illustrator folder (another application that adobe makes). so just click on each file that shows up in the search and look at where the files actually is before deleting it. if its in another applications folder...leave it.

its wordy but it should make sense.
  9. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    Small clarification:

When you're dragging an app off of the dock, click on the app in the dock - hold the button down - and slide the app off of the dock. Then release the app (button) anywhere on your desktop.

Click and drag works the same way it does in Windows, if you're familiar. Right clicking is the same, too, if you've got a two-button mouse (not the one Apple sells/ships). If you don't have a mouse, use ctrl-click in place of right clicking.
  10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    You're not trying to remove a running application from the Dock, are you? That won't work. You can only remove applications from the Dock that aren't currently running. You don't need to hold down any additional keys to drag an icon in Mac OS X.
  11. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Its like dragging and droping in Windows. Click and hold on the icon your want to remove, drag it up off the dock, then let go. It will go poof with a little smoke animation.

Its the same way for putting it in the dock. Click and hold the application you want in the dock, drag it to the dock, let it go, and it stays in the dock for easy access.

Click and hold means you click, and continue to hold the mouse button down until you are told to release it.