New Mac User, big problem!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theimp, Jan 24, 2007.

1. theimp macrumors member

Hi,

Recently, I reformatted my 24" iMac. I haven't turned it off since, and just a few minutes ago, it lost power accidentally and turned off. When I turned it back on, it looks like most of the settings I changed, (size of the dock, backgrounds, and folder name changes) were back to their default settings. When I went to go rename my folders back to what I wanted, it says the name is already taken. Also, all the things I downloaded are gone, but I think they are still here somewhere because it says I have less Gigs than I would have if they were really gone.

Is there any way to fix this or do I have to reformat my computer again.

Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Before the shutdown, did you happen to change the name next to the house icon on the left side of the finder window?

3. theimp thread starter macrumors member

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, that's the problem. That is your user account name, if you change it bad things happen. (They really shouldn't allow you to change it).

See this for help

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107854

5. theimp thread starter macrumors member

Yea that was it. I found all my files. How can I change it though? Like if I reformatted it again someday, it was named my whole name stuck together, and I wanted it to be something easy. When does it get named? Before I reformatted it, it was named something else.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

When you set up a user account you provide a long name and a short name. The name that appears by the house is the short name. So whatever you choose as the short account name will appear next to the house.

7. theimp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much. I was really worried for a minute =)

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't remember exactly how it works, but you do have to specify your short user name somewhere during the installation process.

You can change it after the fact, but Apple doesn't recommend it (and it's forty steps)...I'd just leave it alone.