new mac user help !!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by maikeru, May 9, 2004.

1. maikeru macrumors member

just got my first mac

pb 17" 1.5g

i live in japan.

got the japanese version.

tried to create two accounts - one for english menus one for japanese.

problems:
    1) i am having mixed results changing the system language. it changes to english, then changes back and forth at random

2) when i try to fast-switch between users, i get (of all things !!) a blue screen of death .... and me a switcher from windoze !

3) sometime when i enter the password, it says that i have entered the wrong one.....i have meticulously taken care to type it correctly and in the correct case....i have had to resort to deleting the offending user and trying again....sometimes this works, sometimes not

help !!

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The error is a Kernel Panic.

What I can only assume is going wrong is the setting up of an english account and a Japanese account. As I have read (in the system preferences) you should restart to get the menus to change. Now what you are doing is logging off then in as the other user, which I believe is the cause for your problem.

Solution: Delete the other account and keep only one account (unless you have more than one person using the computer, then they can have their own account each). And when you want Japanese or English, select the language in the System Preferences and restart. If that doesn't help then you prolly have an offending 3rd-party program that was written baddly or a hardware problem.

Your #3 looks like you might be confusing the passwords for the separate accounts.