New Mac User - iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Craig3ll, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Craig3ll macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Hi, I just got a Powerbook G3 (Firewire 400 MHz) from a friend. I was using Windows before. First of all, I'm really impressed with the OS X Panther OS and the feel of the Mac in general. I've been spending hours just playing with everything and just found this forum. Seems like a ton of great info here!

Ok, back to my original question... I've decided to import a bunch of my CD's into iTunes. When I insert the CD in the drive, sometimes it makes a repeated "spinning and clicking" noise and never loads. Sometimes it loads fine and then will stop for a little while during the import process. Other times it seems to work just fine. Is this normal?? Thanks!
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    No that's not normal. Perhaps your drive is not in the best shape? Does it happen with certain cds and not others? (ie burned versus factory pressed) For a cheap fix you can encode the music to mp3 or AAC or whatever on another machine or an external drive if you have one handy. You may end up needing to buy a new internal drive though....
  3. Craig3ll thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Ya, thats kinda what I figured. If I do end up replacing the drive, is there one people generally reccomend? I was planning on getting a CD RW drive soon anyway since this one can't burn CD's. I'm not on my Mac right now but I believe it's a DVD/CD ROM drive.
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    You may just consider an external FireWire CD-RW drive. They are fairly cheap. Just browsing through a MacMall catalog I found a LaCie 52x32x52 external CD-RW drive for about $119.00. I think its even one of the thin ones. That may even be cheaper than finding an internal CD-RW drive for your PowerBook.

Glad you like Mac OS X...and it only gets better from here!