new mac user needs some help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kalinatek, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Kalinatek macrumors regular

1- i just ripped a dvd that i got a few days ago to my iMac , i used mactheripper.now its a TS_VIDEO file , how can i watch it on my imac? what sort of software do i need?

2-how can i remove the startup sound when i first turn on my imac? (u know the 2 second one)

3-is their a way that i can play many dvds that have different regions or any kind of software i have to buy ? coz i can only play them for 5 times on my imac..?

4-can i put shortcuts on my desktop instead of using the dock all the time?

thanks guys

:D

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) Using DVD Player (pre-installed), choose File -> Open DVD Media and then navigate to the TS_Video folder. That's it.

2) No idea.

3) Google this. It can be done.

4) Yes. Easiest way is to drag to the desktop (or any other location where you want a shortcut) while holding Alt/Option and Command/Apple (two keys) at the same time.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Basically, you can't (though I suppose it's possible there's a firmware hack or something). But, if you turn the volume down before restarting, you won't hear it. Me, I have external speakers plugged in, and if I don't want to hear it I just flip off the speakers. Plugging in a pair of headphones will have the same effect.

Download VLC (videolan.org); it should do this. There are also other ways, which Google or VersionTracker.com should lead you to.

1 and 4 already covered.

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

As for multi-region you can do it with VLC as Makosuke said, or you can use what you already have, MacTheRipper. Go into system preferences, click on CD/DVD and change DVD to ignore. Now the DVD will mount on your desktop but DVDplayer won't start and you won't get the change regions thing. Start up MTR and save the file and make sure you have New Region 'ALL' selected. Maybe VLC is easier though, just make sure you change DVD settings to ignore

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the new apple hardware has closed this loophole. Thus you cannot view out of region DVD's in VLC or rip them using MacTheRipper. As I said, not 100% sure about this but I couldn't do either with my Rev D Powerbook.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Actually you can modify the startup sound with this pref pane:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/16425

You can turn the volume down or mute it altogether.

7. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thats quite impossible. Its stored in the ROM of your logic board. Your mac will do it even without an OS installed.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't tried the linked utilities, but they seem to accomplish by making a write to the firmware.

10. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

It's not impossible, just tricky. There IS a file, it's just not on the HD. If you used the same equipment they used to put it on, than you could. I in no way recommended doing this.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, agreed...this seems like a good place to cross reference the How Best to Destroy Your Mac Thread.... :(

12. Kalinatek thread starter macrumors regular