New Mac User Questions - Thanks In Advance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ahoover, May 11, 2004.

1. ahoover macrumors member

May 11, 2004
    I'm in the process of purchasing a new Mac. I've been on PCs since 1994, Macs before that and yes I know a lot has changed since I was on AUX. First, I am planning on buying a new G5 Mac. I am waiting for the Rev.B machines to come out (hoping for dual 3.0 Ghz). In the mean time I have access to a PowerMac G4 tower.

1 - Will the memory used in a G4 work in a G5? I will have to add memory to the old G4 and I would like to be able to repurpose this in the G5 when they become available.

2 - I assume the G4 can run OSX - Yes?

3 - I have 2 Mac Cinema 23" displays. Will the G4 support the Mac Cinema 23" HD Display? WIll it support dual displays? WHat adaptor is needed to support the second display and will this adaptor transfer to the G5?

4 - If I would like to support a video tuner/DVCR option on the G5 to watch/record video who makes a tuner/capture card that fits and has proper drivers for OSX and a G5?

Al H.
  2. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Quick answers to your questions.

1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Depends on if it is a newer or older G4. Newer, yes. Older may not. For the second monitor you need to get the Apple ADC to DVI (DVI to ADC?) adapter. Again this is only for newer G4s.
    4. Don't know, sorry.
  3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    if your powermac G4 tower takes DDR memory and you buy DDR400 memory, then you can use it in rev A machines but only apple knows what the specs are for rev B

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, there are video capture/tv tuner cards for the G5. Check this page at Other World Computing:

There are a range of external FireWire tuner/capture boxes from ElGato which will work with practically any recent FireWire equipped Mac. There are also some PCI cards from Miglia which will work in both G4s and G5s, which come with all the necessary OS X drivers and software. Make sure you read the product descriptions carefully, because some of the cards Other World Computing has listed on that page are G4-only...others are for both G4 and G5.

Hope this helps.
  5. dragula53 macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003

thought I'd pipe in here.

You lucky bastard. I wish I had 2 23" displays

and like they said, g4's use much slower ram than the G5's so you don't wanna use it anyway.

and depending on your G4, it may or may not support multiple displays.. but there are hacks out there that make it spannable.

6. ahoover thread starter macrumors member

May 11, 2004
    My company needed some G5's so I took advantage of the "Brilliant Saving" program from Apple to buy two 23" displays. I know that Apple will cosmetically upgrade the 23" in the next revision/release but at $1499 each it seemed like a great opportunity. Now I have 2 displays and nothing to test them with until the Rev.B G5's appear.

Can't wait for the new G5's to become available.

Al H.