Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

White Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
I'm going to receive my first Mac book air today. What am i supposed to do other than the listing below? Any other way to make sure I'm not receiving a defected unit?

1) check for dead pixel
2) download SMC fan control
3) Clean OS X reinstall
4) ????

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm going to receive my first Mac book air today. What am i supposed to do other than the listing below? Any other way to make sure I'm not receiving a defected unit?

1) check for dead pixel
2) download SMC fan control
3) Clean OS X reinstall
4) ????

Im not sure about 2 and 3. I used my MBA for 22 hours straight while I configured Windows 7, Boot Camp, and loaded up on apps, and the fan came on rarely. Not sure what the concern is. I'd suggest using it first, and if you have an issue then try messing with the fans.

I am also not sure why a "clean" OS install is needed. The thing comes configured properly from the factory. If you decide to do that, make sure you back it up first.

You mention you are a new Mac User. What did you use before? I'd start by making a list of all the things you like to do on a computer, and how you did them before, to figure out how you will do them in the MBA (in all honesty you should have done this BEFORE you bought the MBA... :D )

For example, I use my computer for Quicken to connect to my bank, and I have a database of DVD titles using DVD Profiler. I also work in a Windows environment, so in anticipation of running into "that won't run on a Mac", I installed Windows 7 in Boot Camp. So far so good.

I also do some website maintenance, so I needed a good FTP client. Filezilla, which I use on the PC, has a Mac version. Sweet.

So go down the list of stuff you do and try and figure out ways you can do it better with your new MBA. Good luck! ;)

White Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Currently i'm using a Window based laptop (DELL) while waiting for the air. The things that i want to do are basically the normal stuff, nothing intensive.

1) download / stream movies > JDownloader mac version and VLC??
2) Paper work > Considering iWork and Office 2011
3) surf net, facebook gaming
4) notes taking / reminder / email

P/S: while I'm replying this post, my sweet air just arrived :D

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Currently i'm using a Window based laptop (DELL) while waiting for the air. The things that i want to do are basically the normal stuff, nothing intensive.

1) download / stream movies > JDownloader mac version and VLC??
2) Paper work > Considering iWork and Office 2011
3) surf net, facebook gaming
4) notes taking / reminder / email

P/S: while I'm replying this post, my sweet air just arrived :D

Resist the temptation to do a lot of reconfiguring. Use your new MBA for a little while as is while you get the hang of it. It can do a lot out of the box without have to resort to other apps. As you get more familiar with what it can do, you can then add stuff that you have to have. Coming from Windows my first instinct was to start tinkering, but thankfully I controlled myself... ;)

Enjoy!

White Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Thanks !! When i close and open the lit, why is it not instant on? it took about 1-2 sec for the screen to appear

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thanks !! When i close and open the lit, why is it not instant on? it took about 1-2 sec for the screen to appear

My Win7 laptop boots in 3 minutes. 2 seconds is instant to me. :D

I did read some folks saying Lion was not as fast as Snow Leopard waking up. I have no frame of reference other than WinMolasses to compare, so.... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.