New Mac user

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by semaja2, Dec 12, 2005.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys im a new mac user, ive been using windows for my whole life and will be getting my first mac (ibook 12") in 12 days. I was wondering does anyone have some good suggestions for software or accessories that i should buy to make my experience better.

2. retasi macrumors member

Get an external mouse
    an external screen
    a compatible phone
    a .mac account
    a case.

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ive just been looking over that topic u suggested and now im wondering how does one go about uninstalling software like in windows u have that thingo and in linux u have tools like yast but still thats iffy, so when i get my mac should i only install things i really want or just try everything

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

To uninstall software you drag the icon from the Applications folder to the trash. That's it.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The Mac (not MAC, some people get really upset about these things!) does not have a system registry like Windows. It also has a clean application packaging scheme so you can add, move and remove apps simply by dragging them around.

To uninstall simply drag an app to the Trash. For 99% of apps this will remove all the appliction components and leave you with a nice clean system. The only other files a well behaved app will leave behind might be a small preferences file in ~/Library/Preferences and perhaps some additional optional stuff in ~/Library/Application Support/.

I'd say install what you want!

6. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow that has to be the best idea ever, i mean not ever linux has adopted that yet, imo tho the registry idea isnt that bad. anywho thanks for your support guys can wait for christmas i got tons of disks burned ready to install crasy and have so much fun :D

7. retasi macrumors member

I hope its all legitimate software you went out and bought.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It really is cool! You can even copy most apps between Macs simply by dragging and dropping via a network connection (or an external hard drive).

9. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol by burned software i meant stuff i have downloaded like the office trial and neoiffice along with some game trials and all these lil programs

10. retasi macrumors member

The office trial comes preloaded.

11. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry about all these questions but i was wondering, see im not to rich and was wondering is there any free services like that of the .mac account but i only want the online drive thingo

12. retasi macrumors member

No just .mac as far as i know there is a trial though.

13. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok guys ive just thought about my current secuirty on my network here, and was wondering does macosx support vpn and wpa-radius

14. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

also another question does the macosx that comes with the ibook have the developer tools as well?

15. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

Get a nice case and maybe even sleeve, I like radtech us
    Also, I got the ilap, it's pretty cool for lounging and keeping your legs cool haha
    Software:
    Adium for chatting
    Neooffice....free and basically just as good as Microsoft Office
    Don't get office now, they will probably release a new version soon

Explore everything, Mac OSX is very cool...so much you can do with it.

Have fun! :)

16. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Eh, who cares. Not me. The only thing I've bought on my Powerbook is the actual hardware. I'm a college student, and with my income (or lack thereof), I can't afford $500-600 programs. Plus, every college student I know w/a Mac just gets all the software/dmg files from other college students around campus...sue me. You'll have to find me first though :D

17. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

iBook, eh?

Get APPLECARE. I can't stress that enough. In 2 years it'll undoubtedly be the best thing you ever bought.

I love Apple, I really do. But laptop harddrives are all made out of what appears to be aluminum foil. I'm convinced of this. (not just Apple laptop hard drives, of course.)

18. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

For a free alternative to the .Mac storage, get a Gmail account and then get gDisk http://gdisk.sourceforge.net/ Turns your Gmail account into an online storage HD somewhat like iDisk. And it's over 2GB compared to .Mac's 1GB :cool: :D

19. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i got the ibook 12" becuase it was cheap enough to convince my parents to help pay for it and its size was a good idea, sure id love a power book or even just the 15" but to late now

in about 1 year or so ill probally buy apple care unless theres a reason i should buy it now?

as for that gmail thing, ive used it before on linux but i was informed that doing that would result in the account being closed

PS. also my complaint about .mac is that isync software for windows doesnt work for me since im using windows 2003 not xp