New mac user

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BigCanoe, Jan 13, 2003.

1. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

Well, I want to be a Mac user. What is the cheapest, bang for the buck Mac I could buy that would run OSX and be good for email and WWW at least?

Thanks,
    BC

2. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

If you're just going to do e-mail and surf the web, then I would have to suggest the iBook.

3. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

4. orthodoc macrumors member

If portability is not an issue, I would consider the eMac or the low end iMac. Both are great machines and will run OS X great. Just keep in mind that these two machines will probably be upgraded in the next few weeks.

Good luck and welcome! :)

5. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Should I wait a couple of weeks then, maybe new models will drive the old prices even lower?

6. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Yeah, the old ones will go down on price, but i would sugest you to get the future ones instead, since you will be getting new tech. A iMac would suit you fine and its an awsome machine!

7. orthodoc macrumors member

I would definitely hang in there for a few weeks. There is a good chance for price cuts in addition to upgrades. Only time will tell.

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Waiting on new machines is a tricky business. My advice would be to set a date that you won't wait past without VERY strong evidence of a near future upgrade, then stick to it. Model-wise I would suggest the eMac (which is close to identical to the iMac, but with a CRT screen and a big price cut). If you like LCDs and are willing to pay a bit more, go for the iMac. I haven't tried the 15" ones, but the 17" is frickin amazing.

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The eMac is an excellent machine for it's price. It runs OS X great and is good at everyday tasks.

10. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Bang-for-your-buck award I would have to say goes to the 17" iMac. The 15" iMac's screen can become suffocating sometimes.. even just surfing the web and checking e-mail. OS X isn't shy with taking up screen realestate either. .. but that's just my opinion...

11. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I'd say hold out for as long as it takes, if you are really interested in a new machine. If you can wait for the next revision (seeing as one should be coming along soon, including new technologies) you will be doing yourself a favor. I end up waiting almost every time I decide to invest in a machine. Last month I bought a new iBook, even though I knew there was a possibility of portable upgrades. Now look at me: I have to save up some funds and by a new 12-inch PowerBook! 8)

Dan

12. Buggy macrumors regular

You are always going to wait longer than you want.

Pay more than you want.

And be outdated faster than you want.

However: You will love any Mac you get! and never want a PC again.

13. orthodoc macrumors member

Amen to that! :p

14. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I will end up going for used of Ebay or refurbished. And it would be hard to resist an iBook, they are so cool :)

15. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Don't feel bad about doing that. I buy most of my stuff once it's discontinued. It's cheaper and I don't get surprised with revisions. ;)

But make sure there isn't any new technology you want that an older model won't use. Ex: I would try to get an ibook that uses Quartz Extreme. That means it would be one of the current ones. (and maybe the prev gen)
    700Mhz G4 flat panel iMacs sell for $999 all day long, brand new from alot of vendors. That's a great deal too. And often they'll give printers and free RAM as well. Those imacs have plenty of power to do all the day to day stuff and even do some Photoshop, Games and things like that.
    http://www.smalldog.com/ and http://powermax.com/index.html always have deals and refurbs.

16. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If you really want to be cheap get the old CRT iMac for $800. Or you could get a refurb one with a CD-RW for $400. Good Luck:)

17. MacKid macrumors 6502

The Cheapest. . .

The cheapest mac for what you need is the iBook. Nothing special, just CD-ROM, 700Mhz G3. BTW, a good place to check out would be The Apple Store (No sarcasm intended):D

18. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Don't get this. CRT iMacs are ANNOYING. Tiny curved screen, slow processor. The new LCD iMacs are infinitely superior imho ;)

19. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

I am leaning towards an iBook, I don't have a laptop and it would be cool to have wireless.

20. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Wireless is WAY COOL! Nothing like sittin' on the deck, drinkin' a Corona Light, and surfin' the web! Of course, not now when it's 32°.