New mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jun 5, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I bought a powerbook a few monthes ago and I love the Mac OS. I love it so much I would like another mac to back up my files on, use to print through, use at home, and have something more powerful for working with video. Also, being able to work with two comps. can be helpful.

I am thinking of getting a
    Dual 2ghz PM G5
    2gb RAM
    250gb HD
    ATI Radeon 9650
    Airport
    BT
    Superdrive
    Wireless Mouse & Keyboard
    Either a 23" LCD or Dual 20" ($1,500 vs $800x2=$1,600)
    Final Cut Express

If I get dual 20" I could also use one with my PB and still be able to use my PM.

I love apple computers a lot. Enough to buy another.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to consider the Dell 24" LCD for a fair amount less - enough less to let you bump up to the dual-2.3, which is less "restricted" than the current dual-2.0 (e.g., 8GB max vs 4GB max, etc.). However, I have a rev A dual-2.0 (similar in architecture to the current dual-2.3) and the speed is still admirably good after nearly two years.

Also, I assume you'll be buying your extra RAM from somewhere other than Apple, of course!

As far as one or two monitors: however many you get and hook up to your PM, you won't want to disconnect one for the PB. It's OK to get a 20" for the PM and a 20" for the PB, but don't get two 20" monitors hoping you'll use one for the PB sometimes. You'll get hooked on the screen real estate for your PM and the PB will probably never get a chance to use one.