1. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    I am thinking about buying a new mac, but i have no idea what to buy, i want to buy a mac that in 5 years time will still work quite well, so basically something that is upgradeble, and will last.
    I was thinking something along these lines:

Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25Ghz
    Power Mac G5 1.6Ghz

Or should i go for something like the iMac???
    I want to use it for music editing and photo editing and normal home use.

Thanx in advance
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    the g4 will be somewhat better "sometimes" in multi processor apps. if you asked me, and probably everyone else on this board they will tell you go for the g5, and you may want to get some extra cash and go for that 1.8ghz g5, you get a lot more for the money, and will last longer.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In any event I'd suggest a PowerMac over an iMac. I have a couple 233 G3 PowerMacs that still work great (6 years old) and an iMac with the same processor that's maxed out and at the end of its life (1 year newer than the others). The difference is upgradability and the PowerMacs have better potential for it.

As for G4 vs. G5, single vs. dual processor--get the fastest computer you can afford. If you're trying to look 5 years down the road that's probably the best bet. Either one will still work, but you'll be happier with the faster computer.