Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shifomu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Hi all,

So I picked up my brand new 2015 MacBook 1.2/512 and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

However I've come across a weird video playback issue. Whenever I try to load a video on either IMDB or Tumblr it struggles. It can just about load an SD video but trying to load an HD video it takes forever to load and once it does it will play the first few seconds then get stuck. Sometimes the sound will continue playing and the progress bar will continue but the video is just stuck and overall the experience is stuttery when viewing videos from these two sites.

On the flip side of that I can play 4K video on YouTube fine...

I'm on 10.10.5 running safari.

Can anyone else replicate this issue?

I've tried chrome and it's no better unfortunately.

I want to believe it is a software issue so very much but if this awesome little machine is too underpowered to play even an HD video I will be super bummed.

Last edited:

shifomu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Update: So I've took my laptop to work and it seems to be working fine now. I have a feeling it could be related to my internet connection at home cos it did seem to drop out. Does anyone else have WI-FI issues with this model? I'm positive i've seen other people have the same WI-FI issue.

FYI: I'm on 100Mbit Virgin Media with Super Hub 2 connected to 5Ghz. I've tried 2.4 and didn't seem to make a difference :(

tbirdparis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2015
In your router settings you should be able to switch wifi channels. Try some different ones, there could be congestion on the channel you're using, depending on what your neighbours are using. In any case you should have no trouble streaming 4K video on the rMB provided it can get the data fast enough. Have not had any trouble with it myself so the machine is perfectly capable.

shifomu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
In your router settings you should be able to switch wifi channels. Try some different ones, there could be congestion on the channel you're using, depending on what your neighbours are using. In any case you should have no trouble streaming 4K video on the rMB provided it can get the data fast enough. Have not had any trouble with it myself so the machine is perfectly capable.

Will try changing my router channels when I get home from work. Hopefully this will make the difference! thanks i hadn't thought of that

shifomu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Update 2:

Part 1: After some more testing I've found that part of the issue could be incompatibility with my router (Virgin Media Super Hub 2)

After connecting to my internet at work, as well as the personal hotspot on my iPhone IMDB videos loaded fine.

Part 2: However now I've noticed that under OS X videos load fine with no lag or FPS drops, however under windows 10 the videos stutter a lot, especially when you move the mouse over the video and the animated overlays appear (options such as video resolution, progress bar etc..)

I have a feeling that OS X is really taking advantage of the Metal API and utilizing all the power this MacBook has to offer and could suggest why there isn't any lag under OS X, but trying to watch videos under Windows 10 is pretty much impossible.

Can anyone else replicate this issue? I'd be interested to hear if anyone else under windows 10 has the same problem, but I'd be more interested to see if anyone else has the issue under Windows 8.1 as I'm really hoping it could just be a new OS teething issue, and the more stable 8.1 would provide better performance.

Thanks a lot! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.