New MacBook adapter buzz sound, does anyone have the same problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deming, May 25, 2006.

1. deming macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2006
    I've just got my new MacBook this Monday evening, it is so beautiful and I love it to death. I found that when the battery is lower than 50%, if I plug the power adapter in, the adapter would have some kind of buzz noise, very annoying, and it can be extremely hot. However, if I shutdown the computer and just leave it for charging, it will be fine. I called the Apple support and they sent me to a local apple store. I went there and one of the "geneious" checked my laptop out and found it was allright. The thing is when I brought my laptop to the store, the battery was fully charged, and you can't hear the buzz sound, but when I put the adapter on my ear I can still hear the buzz, I showed the geneious about this, but she said it is at Normal level. Does any other new MacBook owner find the same problem?
  2. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Yes, my wife's MacBook's power adapter whines loudly when charging from low battery, but I'm not concerned. It's just the power adapter, not the MacBook. I've heard the same noise from lots of other electrical and electronic equipment out there.
  3. deming thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2006
    Thanks a lot. I feel much better now. :) I just called apple support again and the guy said, they recently got some issues about the adapter. I might unfortunately got the wrong adapter. So he suggests me to go to apple store again and try to recreate the same condition and let them to try out different adapters. But anyway, at least I know that I am not alone. ^-^
  4. cighh macrumors newbie

May 22, 2006
    mine just started sizzling (5 mins ago) - also low battery (during its first calibration)

5. designed macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2005
    Oh man, I hate buzzing power adapters :( Especially if they don't stop when the charge is full.
  6. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

Feb 13, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Mine too...

I just realized that my adapter is sizzling as well! I thought at first it was coming from the MacBook (it may still be?), but I checked the power brick and it was making a buzz/sizzle sound and was really hot! I'm not sure if this happens only when I have a low battery, but it worries me a bit. My MacBook is perfect other than this...

Anyone hear back from apple yet about whether it's no big deal or requires replacing the compy? I can deal with getting a new power adapter, but I don't want to give up the MB if I don't need to...:eek:
  7. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    It's normal. Go and listen to most power adapters, it's just the transformer buzzing.
  8. firsttube macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2004
    mine does it too, pretty sure that's normal. Now any sugguestions for squeaky display hinge? when i run macsaber and shake the macbook violently, the hinge squeaks. any sugguestions?

What kind of product would be good for a hinge, unless that would make it too easy for the screen to fall forward or backward?

It does squeak even when not being shaken violently, i was just trying to make a joke. :D