New MacBook Air 11" Have a few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by armandxp, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

armandxp

My new 11" air was delivered today! Can't wait to go home and start setting it up!

Question: I have an iMac 2010 that I never turn off, it just goes into sleep mode, I assume. I have always been able to access this Mac remotely using 'Log Me In', and 'Air Video', Will I be able to use these programs the same way on my Air? I'm just not sure about it going to sleep. If I just close the lid, will I be able to access it, or will I have to keep the lid open to be able to access it.

Question: I bought a 2tb hard drive to either connect to the Air, and have all my pictures and iTunes content on. Is it better for any reason other than speed to directly connect this to one of the USB3 ports on the Air, or just keep it connected to the Airport Extreme USB jack? I think most of my music and movies should stream fine, connected to the AE, but not totally sure.

If anything, share with me how you have your system setup, and why you use it the way you do. I'm not going to be using the iMac anymore, and I'm going to be using the Air as my everyday computer at the house, with it sometimes traveling with me.

I'd like to be able to access my files back home, without having to setup a server. Bought an iomega networked HD, and hate it. Never could really get connected to if from the internet.

I read and post on here daily, but just though I'd drag out some fresh ideas, or tried and true ones! Thanks!
    :D

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.
    Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake (with the lid open) with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

To keep your Mac notebook awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.

It should work fine connected to the AE.

3. macrumors 601

Congrats.

I believe when you close the lid, is a FORCED sleep no matter how you set the power preference for. To keep it awake, you want to run the machine on "clamshell" mode. SEARCH this forum or google.

Some people have second thoughts on running a laptop on clamshell mode because they are afraid the heat generated by the laptop maybe too close to the screen for an extended amount of time. I personally have no opinion on the matter.

Airport attached should be good for most normal things u do.

Accessing your data through the Internet is not new technology but requires some effort, and maybe expense. First thing you have to ask, most home Internet has an upload speed of what 1 mbit/s(?) that's usually too slow, are you willing to up your home Internet monthly bill for this to happen smoothly?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Thanks for the reply's! I will definitely check out the programs recommended! I had read about the closed shell mode and heat, but wasn't really sure. I don't mind leaving the Air open, as long as I can wake it up over the Airport Express. So, I guess I'd prefer to keep it open, hoping the screen doesn't turn on every time, though.

I plan to Airplay or connect by HDMI to my projector to play some movies, or by the AppleTV. Will the Air's screen stay off, or will it always be on while playing to another monitor.

Only thing I really like to access is my picture library from afar, so not too worried about the upload speeds.

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're in clamshell mode, the internal display should be off. I use Plex to manage and play movies, TV shows and music videos on my HDTV via HDMI.

6. macrumors 601

Don't know the answer to this. I just want to say my 10 years old, now uber-obsolete Windows laptop had a screen [only] off function. It seems this handy thing is gonna take some doing on this modern, updated Air. :(

Depends on the size of the library we're talking about. Top of my head Apple iCloud, they give you a few gigs for free to sync data. So if it works the way I think it oughtta work, whatever change you make on the iMac, it should automatically upload the changes to the Cloud, then you can access that from anywhere. I THINK because I have not personally play with iCloud that much yet. Now this assumes the data is not uber-private. I don't trust to place my uber-private data on any third-party. iCloud does say they encrypt it(?) Unconfirmed.

7. macrumors regular

well, in energy settings you can set the monitor (only) to sleep after a certain amount of time and leave the computer working the whole time...

if that was what you were asking for..

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Finally got to play with my Air some last night. Got LogMeIn installed, can connect to the computer from my iPhone. When I got to work and tried it, it can't find my Air, :(

I can't remember what setting's I had to play with on my iMac to get this to work when it goes to sleep. Loving my Air, now to get everything working the way I want it to. Oh, and the lid was open, with password protection.

9. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As an alternative, try TeamViewer.

10. macrumors 68030

Sys Prefs > Energy Saver > Wake for Network Access

To turn your screen off > Ctrl + Shift + Eject

Hit any other key to turn the screen back on.

To put your machine to sleep > Cmd + Alt + Eject

11. macrumors member

Another excellent alternative is the Chrome Remote Desktop plugin. Opens up an RDP session in a new Chrome tab (even if Chrome isn't open on the remote machine). I've been using that a lot more lately and TeamViewer a lot less.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Very cool idea. I will check this one out, also! Thanks! :D

----------

Yeah, I have the wake for network access on, but I'll have to fiddle with it later this evening and see what's going on. I believe on my iMac I had to go into terminal and keep it from going into deep sleep? Or, something like that. My iMac wakes up when I press a key now, but I guess doesn't go into a deeper sleep? Not sure, all this 'sleep stuff' has always confused me......

Thanks for they key shortcuts, also! :cool: