Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the heels of the Nuance speech screenshots, @ChronicWire claims that Apple will be releasing the new MacBook Air this wednesday.

Apple has been said to be prepping the new Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt MacBook Airs for June-July. The most recent reports claim that Apple has been ramping up production ahead of the launch.

Article Link: New MacBook Air Due This Wednesday?

Last edited by a moderator:

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Nice update. Those who really needed portability already got their MBAs and now need to sell them if they want the latest and greatest. Those who don't have MBAs appreciate but are not that excited about the announcement. At least that is how I am feelin..

Might be nice to pick up an older generation at a reduced price for the portability. Still a very solid machine.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
Slightly faster Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
Slightly faster Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

Besides that, everything else stays the same.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

Not bad.

But the pricing I'll bet will start with $1299 up to $1999.

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Thank goodness I didn't get my Macbook yet. Hopefully this rumor is true because I am getting a Mac at the end of June and I was hoping to get a Macbook Air because of its display is amazing. Hope its strong as the Macbook Pro 13 inch.

laxic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
I don't think it's true. If anything, they would release them after lion is released so they are shipped with the latest OS X version.

With Lion being a digital release, I think Apple can easily forgo waiting.

laxic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
I very much hope that the new MacBook Air's can be Apple's new poster child for Macs, as in sport a new design. The original Air's brought the unibody design. Maybe these new ones will follow suit, though say with carbon fiber, as some old patents may suggest.

Unfortunately, with the recent Air's having undergone a design refresh with the latest model, this seems unlikely.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I don't think it's true. If anything, they would release them after lion is released so they are shipped with the latest OS X version.
I was hoping for that too. I wanted my first MacBook purchase to come with Lion pre-installed, and I'm getting one this summer... Just waiting for the right time.

It'd also be nice if they could put a Retina display in the next MacBook Airs along with Lion (aka HiDPI), but that definitely won't happen if Lion is coming later. I guess they might do it with the next MBP refreshes. ;/

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
It'd also be nice if they could put a Retina display in the next MacBook Airs along with Lion (aka HiDPI), but that definitely won't happen if Lion is coming later. I guess they might do it with the next MBP refreshes. ;/

I highly doubt it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

So you believe Apple will stop using Low Voltage CPUs in the 13" MBAs and start using Ultra Low Voltage CPUs? Why do you believe that? I am not saying it's not going to happen, but most of the rumors I have read that mention ULV I wonder if they just don't realize the 13" MBA uses LV not ULV CPUs. In addition, Apple has used high-end CPUs in the 13" MBA, so I definitely believe it will get a Core i7... I would speculate that the loss in graphics performance will be an even bigger and unacceptable hit on the ULV Sandy Bridge. It is bad enough on the LV, but that much of a loss in clock speed is going to definitely impact graphics a long ways from the 13" MBP with a standard voltage Core CPU.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
sounds a bit too soon if apple just started production, but i'd be happily surprised if they do get released wed... but i doubt it.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

I believe there is only one ULV i5, so there cannot be a "slightly faster" i5. Also, I think Apple will just choose to use i7s across the board, and if an i5 is used, I would think it would only be in the first entry level ($999 model).

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Actually, I'm extremely happy with my 13" Ultimate MBA from last year- so much so that I find the news just to be "meh." I guess it's good news for those that don't already have a MBA? If I was in that position tho, I might try to save a few hundred and buy a 2010 refurb. They're really THAT good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.