New macbook air kernel panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cookies4all, Jun 26, 2012.

1. cookies4all macrumors newbie

cookies4all

I bought a Macbook Air 13 two days ago. I was playing Sims 3 and then the computer froze, with a message to restart the computer. Should I be worried?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you get a screen that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, don't worry about it.
    "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
    Mac OS X 10.7 Help: If “You need to restart your computer” appears
    Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
    Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics
    Resolving Kernel Panics

3. rookpsu macrumors member

Except - as noted in a number of threads on MR and Apple's discussion boards - these KP's are becoming uncomfortably common in the 2012 MBA's.

I think a small degree of worry is appropriate.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only if it is recurring. A single or infrequent KP isn't cause for concern.

5. rookpsu macrumors member

True, except it seemed that in a majority of cases that I've read the users did, in fact, report repeated crashes and/or a complete system lock-up that required a hard reset. The latter was what I experienced for a while. Switched to Firefox and had one crash over 4 days, switched back to Chrome, and could barely go 2 hours without a KP. I wasn't even doing anything, simply starting a download and walking away. I come back an hour or two later, and the mouse is frozen, system responsive, BSD failure on reboot invariably lists 'Google Chrome HE".

I'm still under 2 weeks, so I'm probably going to swap it out regardless, I was just waiting to see if any official word/acknowledgement/remedy came down from either Apple or Google first.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I'm staying on the thread topic, I'm not addressing those cases. My response is for the OP, who has only reported one KP. For those with recurring KP's the additional links I posted will help them troubleshoot.

7. d3l macrumors newbie

Im getting the same thing and it seems to be chrome related. Seems to happen every few hours of continous use. Full on system crash.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

They are common when running Google Chrome as there is a bug somewhere that is causing it. If you get these errors a lot with other software, have it checked out. A bad logic board can cause them, as well. I was getting kernel panics almost weekly with a 2010 MacBook Air. The cause was a bad logic board.

9. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Did you also have Google Chrome running?

10. barjam macrumors regular

The fact that a user level program can bsod errr kp I mean is a bad thing. Since this is happening to many osx machines I would have to guess it is driver related and not hardware.

11. dyn macrumors 68020

Chrome is a bit of a strange application. It has a different design, it uses it's own Flash player, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it did something strange which in turn causes a driver to do something strange and kernel panic the system eventually. Could be Chrome, could be the driver in question. Have you seen anybody file such a bug with the Chrome devs?

12. rookpsu, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

rookpsu macrumors member

13. cookies4all, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

cookies4all thread starter macrumors newbie

cookies4all

No I only had Sims 3 and Safari open.

Here is the log:

14. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

BSOD?

That's Windows and disappeared about ten years ago.

This problem is a Gray Screen of Death.

15. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Kernel panics should NOT happen. My past experience with them are usually related to BAD RAM or motherboard issues. If you can xchange it do so.

16. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I had something similar happen to me yesterday, except I didn't get any warning message... The screen just froze and I was unable to do anything. I tried closing the lid, but the screen stayed on. Then I just did a hard reset. Chrome was not running at the time of the incident.