Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Ugh, Apple. Just get rid of the current MBA formfactor. Bring on the retina model and drop the rest.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
releasing a minor update to a line up which is rumored to have a big update later in the year is THE LAMEST THING has ever done.

as much as i like Tim Cook i must say WE NEED someone at Apple who says NO more like Steve Jobs did..

:(

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
releasing a minor update to a line up which is rumored to have a big update later in the year is THE LAMEST THING has ever done.

as much as i like Tim Cook i must say WE NEED someone at Apple who says NO more like Steve Jobs did..

:(

I don't understand why people are upset, it's not like Apple is even advertising or announcing this update they are just doing it. It is not an attempt to boost sales before a new model comes out, it is just getting the current processor in the current MBA.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
i really don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up by this, having worked in the industry before it is pretty clear that Intel offered Apple a deal and want to move them onto a slightly different processor at the same or slightly better price, so that they can repurpose the fab that made the old processor. Clearly the only thing that has changed is the processor. This is not a re-design just a supply chain issue.

Then why is the Mac mini still on ivy bridge parts?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I might take this chance to get a Refurbished Air or a 13" Retina. It is amazing that my current Macbook is about to hit 7 years old.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It wouldn't be an update now without a new speed bump now would it, even a small one. Give something to hope for something big next time around

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

I'll be extremely disappointed if the mini doesn't also get a spec bump to Haswell and at least HD5000 tomorrow...

Soon I'm going to buy the Logitech k811

I've been very happy with mine. It's the main keyboard for my living room mini and ATV, and also the iPad -- when my son isn't monopolizing it. The backlighting adjusts to room conditions (overrideable) and will turn off automatically when you move your hands away. I always say it's the BT keyboard Apple should have made.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
I'll be extremely disappointed if the mini doesn't also get a spec bump to Haswell and at least HD5000 tomorrow…

+1

Actually the best reason for them to update the mini for a lot people would be Thunderbolt 2. Then we can gain Thunderbolt networking support and a few other goodies. Would be nice if they incorporated two Thunderbolt 2 ports as we have on the Macbook Pro. Wishful thinking and indeed possible, although probably unlikely. Would be handy for those of us who still find the mini as a small server to be a viable platform.

Updated GPU would be handy for those doing media center tasks or moderate gaming. Not going to gain much in terms of CPU power with such an update.

As for the MB Air. Would love one myself for all those times I'm writing or coding on the go and the 15" is still too cumbersome at kids' sporting events at times and the iPad just isn't enough. But for me, I've been holding off waiting for a retina display. So no retina, no sale. At least for me. Love the 11" size, might do a 12", but they need to pack some more pixels on there!

snprintf

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
This reminds me of something. In the 90s, Apple had a few years where they released more than 10 Macs within one year! Each one just a slightly better version than the last.

----------

They did it to reset the "days since last update" counter on MacRumors's buyer's guide.

I actually think that's true, except for more than just MacRumors. Someone also brought up the supply chain thing. I guess more updates are better as long as it doesn't create a support nightmare.

----------

releasing a minor update to a line up which is rumored to have a big update later in the year is THE LAMEST THING [Apple] has ever done.

You didn't pay attention to Apple's serious **** moves in the past few weeks then ;)

Apple must have been sick of people not updating to iOS 7. To fix the "problem", Apple left a huge SSL bug in iOS 6, intentionally broke FaceTime in iOS 6, and offered to replace faulty power buttons that resulted from manufacturing defects… while updating your iPhone to iOS 7. And those iOS 6 problems are only fixed in the one version you can't install on an iPhone that can run iOS 7.

I'm also sick of Tim Cook. He turned out to be a stinker.

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
finally those 6 months of silence from Cupertino pays off. wow!

Haha... ...I'm with you. :-D

Meanwhile, how does this jibe with months of rumors given some credence about a new 12" model (which either would or wouldn't replace both current MBA's in the face of shrinking overall PC market)??

Waiting for Broadwell? The rMBA? The Airbookalope (a mythical creature)?

And if anything about this is in the story or thread, I've missed it.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Because it must be way cheaper for Apple to purchase Ivy+HD4000 instead of Haswell+HD5000 throughout 2013 and the beginning of 2014. Making more money by doing nothing, the engineering team can work on something else. Like the long neglected new Mac Pro. And when the Mac mini gets updated eventually, they can brag about how much faster it is compared to its ancient predecessor. And than they can brag about how much they've sold in the first week, to all the people who have been holding out for an update. A win-win situation for Apple. Not so much for the customer, who should at least have seen a lower price.

And there it is, a $100 price reduction for the slightly faster MacBook Air. Its official, Apple doesn't care about Mac mini customers.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

Maybe because the MacBook Airs sell more than Mini's?
Maybe because Apple thinks MacBook Airs represent flagship Apple products more than Mini's?
Maybe the guy in charge of MacBook Airs has more political sway than the guy running Mini's?

Who knows.. But I don't see the equivalency.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Awesome, but wait we are all the whiners and complainers and the naysayers now!!! I want to see how they are going to spin this in a negative way this is going to be interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.