New Macbook and internet problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wootwoot, Dec 17, 2006.

1. wootwoot macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a white macbook c2d and have had it for about 2 week now. One thing I have noticed recently that I am having problems with is my dns settings. I have no problems on my windows pc browsing to any website but on my mac there are a number of websites that I am not able to access. I use firefox but I cannot access these pages with safari either. The strange thing is I will try to ping these sites and the terminal will resolve the ip address for the page but will tell me there is no route to that host. An example of some pages I cannot access are www.youtube.com and www.metacafe.com. I am using a wireless network but have never had any problems resolving websites. What is my problem here, can someone help?

2. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

Take a look at your network preferences, make sure port forwarding is not messed up. As well as your web browsers settings, make sure it's not configured to block that site.

3. wootwoot thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is an example of what happens.

mycomputer:~ mine$ ping www.yahoo.com
    PING www.yahoo-ht2.akadns.net (209.131.36.158): 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: No route to host

If I try to go to www.yahoo.com it works though, I have no idea what is wrong here.

4. Gab.Legault macrumors newbie

What's your ISP and how do you connect to the internet?

I have excatly the same problem as you and I'm beggining to think that the problem is not on my side. Maybe it's my ISP who has DNS issues.

My ISP is Videotron (cable) and I connect wirelessly via a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT.