New MacBook - enough for audio apps?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fakeplasticbuzz, May 20, 2006.

1. fakeplasticbuzz macrumors newbie

May 20, 2006
    I am not a Mac owner (yet). This site was recommended by a friend who is a Mac devotee & I've found it very helpful.
    I want to make home audio recordings using GarageBand or ProTools (or both).

Is the new MacBook able to handle these tasks or will I find myself wishing I had bought a MacBook Pro?

Any thoughts, tips or concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    The Macbook is plenty for audio needs.
    Being a composer of both electronic and acoustic music, i would know... lol

I just bought my Macbook yesterday to replace my TiPB. So far so good. The only issue is that there are few universal apps avaliable that i use, so that blows for me.

You will want plenty of RAM, and i would recommend upgrading to a faster HD.
    Come monday morning i will be ordering 2x1GB sticks of RAM and a 7200rpm 100GB HD.

The only possible negatives of the Macbook are the smaller screen, lack of FW 800 (not an issue for us audio folks really) and the lack of expresscard slot (for those that are waiting for expresscard34 hammerfall cards). However with FW 400 most audio interfaces are supported. Even after i do the upgrades to my Macbook, it will still be less about $700 less than a comprible 15" MBP.