Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
hi

im just wondering if it is certain the next macbook will have a new graphics processor and how good it will be? would it still be not suitable for gaming/graphics?

when will they update the macbook? im just wondering if i should get the macbook now or wait till they upgrade the gpu because the gpu cant be change later right?

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Perhaps at some point Apple will offer a better GPU for the MB, but it is never going to be a graphics or gaming machine. And no the GPU cannot be upgraded.

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
so programs like Photoshop, Illustrator or Autocad and 3d studio max will not run on a macbook?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
so programs like Photoshop, Illustrator or Autocad and 3d studio max will not run on a macbook?

Photoshop and Illustrator will run...performance will not be off the charts, but maxing RAM will help. Once the Universal versions of the Adobe apps come out, they should run pretty darn well. I assume the Autodesk apps will run in Windows on a MacBook, but I'm not an expert there, so I can't say how well.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
you are right Photoshop, Illustrator or Autocad and 3d studio max are not going to run in fact with the gma950 your macbook will probably crash trying to run a screen saver. The gma 950 is so pathetic that the cursor probably lags when you move it. My 16 mb dedicated video card in my 6 year old dell pwns the gma950 in every possible way.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
you are right Photoshop, Illustrator or Autocad and 3d studio max are not going to run in fact with the gma950 your macbook will probably crash trying to run a screen saver. The gma 950 is so pathetic that the cursor probably lags when you move it. My 16 mb dedicated video card in my 6 year old dell pwns the gma950 in every possible way.

WTF are you on about?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp

Uh... no? My Core Solo Mini has the same GPU, and I run Battlefield Vietnam at medium setting smoothly (the only game I play, I'm afraid) - and that's a little more graphics-intensive than a mouse cursor.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Are you kidding me?

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston

LOL..riiiiiiiiiiighttttt..Excuse me while I wipe the soda off my monitor,lol....

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
hi

im just wondering if it is certain the next macbook will have a new graphics processor and how good it will be? would it still be not suitable for gaming/graphics?

when will they update the macbook? im just wondering if i should get the macbook now or wait till they upgrade the gpu because the gpu cant be change later right?

Nobody knows dude, nobody except about 3 people at Apple...and they sure as hell aren't talking.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
How well does it play that game? Do some benchmarks when you drop a Merom in too! :D

I've actually been wondering if the Merom will improve gaming at all, though I doubt it'll make a huge difference. I wrote this way back when I first ran BF:V on my Mini:

1024x768x16 with graphics and the other two bars set on "Medium". I was able to run it in Singleplayer with 24 bots just fine, and I got online on a 40 person server and it ran fine too. A bit laggy online, but might just be my connection.

I was using it with the stock 512MB of RAM then, too, and seeing as that's shared with the GPU, I think that's some nice performance for a Core Solo. Didn't get and FPS counts, though. We'll see how the Core 2 Duo handles it when I get that in (in the next week or two, that is)!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've actually been wondering if the Merom will improve gaming at all, though I doubt it'll make a huge difference. I wrote this way back when I first ran BF:V on my Mini:

I was using it with the stock 512MB of RAM then, too, and seeing as that's shared with the GPU, I think that's some nice performance for a Core Solo. We'll see how the Core 2 Duo handles it when I get that in (in the next week or two, that is)!
Wow that's impressive on a Core Solo + stock RAM.

You'll get more benefit from the extra core on Merom. It's not a big improvement from Core Duo but from Solo it will be.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, BF:V isn't the newest of the new games, though, but I was still pleasantly surprised that the Mini could handle it. I did try Doom 3 (Mac version, demo - which is NOT Universal, so it ran under Rosetta) once I got the 1.5GB I have in there now in, and it was insanely laggy just during the intro videos and then walking around. I doubt the UB version would play any better, though I might go from 7FPS to 9!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well, BF:V isn't the newest of the new games, though, but I was still pleasantly surprised that the Mini could handle it. I did try Doom 3 (Mac version, demo - which is NOT Universal, so it ran under Rosetta) once I got the 1.5GB I have in there now in, and it was insanely laggy just during the intro videos and then walking around. I doubt the UB version would play any better, though I might go from 7FPS to 9!
That sounds about right.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
hi

Apple wont be giving this machine a GPU for a long time and from I hear the gma3000 isnt all that. For some reason Apple has decided consumers arent gamers, dont need Gpu's, etc. Makes no sense when so many real GPU's available. Its almost silly not to have a GPU option for the gamer. Write Apple a letter but I doubt anyone will read it. Apple seems to hate the TV watcher and the gamer for some reason. Benches are starting to show for GMA 3000 and they arent anything to wait for as far I can see. You want a GPU Apple wants you to spend $1000 more.:rolleyes:

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
I don't understand all this hatred over the MacBook. How does the current MacBook stack up against an iBook or PowerBook? Don't people use those older laptops for graphics stuff?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I agree with everyone else, what are you on?

The GPU has NOTHING to do with running Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD, or 3D Studio. The big factors in the role is the CPU and the amount of RAM you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.