new macbook gpu?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mojohojo, Nov 25, 2006.

1. mojohojo macrumors regular

hi

im just wondering if it is certain the next macbook will have a new graphics processor and how good it will be? would it still be not suitable for gaming/graphics?

when will they update the macbook? im just wondering if i should get the macbook now or wait till they upgrade the gpu because the gpu cant be change later right?

2. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Perhaps at some point Apple will offer a better GPU for the MB, but it is never going to be a graphics or gaming machine. And no the GPU cannot be upgraded.

3. mojohojo thread starter macrumors regular

so programs like Photoshop, Illustrator or Autocad and 3d studio max will not run on a macbook?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Photoshop and Illustrator will run...performance will not be off the charts, but maxing RAM will help. Once the Universal versions of the Adobe apps come out, they should run pretty darn well. I assume the Autodesk apps will run in Windows on a MacBook, but I'm not an expert there, so I can't say how well.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which is quite silly really - the "home" system is no good for games :rolleyes:

6. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

you are right Photoshop, Illustrator or Autocad and 3d studio max are not going to run in fact with the gma950 your macbook will probably crash trying to run a screen saver. The gma 950 is so pathetic that the cursor probably lags when you move it. My 16 mb dedicated video card in my 6 year old dell pwns the gma950 in every possible way.

7. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Apple will probably switch to GMA3000 in february.

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'd be surprised if the macbook changes now for at least 6 months. If you wait that long then all well and good.

9. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

right...........:rolleyes:

10. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

WTF are you on about?

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Uh... no? My Core Solo Mini has the same GPU, and I run Battlefield Vietnam at medium setting smoothly (the only game I play, I'm afraid) - and that's a little more graphics-intensive than a mouse cursor.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Are you kidding me?

13. mac4evan macrumors member

14. fotografica macrumors 68040

LOL..riiiiiiiiiiighttttt..Excuse me while I wipe the soda off my monitor,lol....

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Nobody knows dude, nobody except about 3 people at Apple...and they sure as hell aren't talking.

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

18. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I've actually been wondering if the Merom will improve gaming at all, though I doubt it'll make a huge difference. I wrote this way back when I first ran BF:V on my Mini:

I was using it with the stock 512MB of RAM then, too, and seeing as that's shared with the GPU, I think that's some nice performance for a Core Solo. Didn't get and FPS counts, though. We'll see how the Core 2 Duo handles it when I get that in (in the next week or two, that is)!

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Wow that's impressive on a Core Solo + stock RAM.

You'll get more benefit from the extra core on Merom. It's not a big improvement from Core Duo but from Solo it will be.

20. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, BF:V isn't the newest of the new games, though, but I was still pleasantly surprised that the Mini could handle it. I did try Doom 3 (Mac version, demo - which is NOT Universal, so it ran under Rosetta) once I got the 1.5GB I have in there now in, and it was insanely laggy just during the intro videos and then walking around. I doubt the UB version would play any better, though I might go from 7FPS to 9!

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That sounds about right.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple wont be giving this machine a GPU for a long time and from I hear the gma3000 isnt all that. For some reason Apple has decided consumers arent gamers, dont need Gpu's, etc. Makes no sense when so many real GPU's available. Its almost silly not to have a GPU option for the gamer. Write Apple a letter but I doubt anyone will read it. Apple seems to hate the TV watcher and the gamer for some reason. Benches are starting to show for GMA 3000 and they arent anything to wait for as far I can see. You want a GPU Apple wants you to spend $1000 more.:rolleyes:

23. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I don't understand all this hatred over the MacBook. How does the current MacBook stack up against an iBook or PowerBook? Don't people use those older laptops for graphics stuff?

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://barefeats.com/mbcd8.html

See how the 9700 stacks vs. the GMA950.

25. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I agree with everyone else, what are you on?

The GPU has NOTHING to do with running Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD, or 3D Studio. The big factors in the role is the CPU and the amount of RAM you have.