New MacBook model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cartoonfox, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. cartoonfox macrumors regular

    cartoonfox

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #1
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've been using Apple computers all my life but I don't really follow the Apple news (Just found out there's an Apple phone!).

    Anyway, I have a 2 year old iMac G5 (one before the iSight model), and I want to upgrade to a portable.
    I'm looking at the new MacBooks (2GHz with 2GB ram), rather than the Pro's simply because the MacBooks are smaller and lighter. And portability is the key factor in me getting a new Mac.

    I just wanted to know if there are any new models of the MacBook coming out soon?
    When I bought my iMac 2 years ago, it wasn't more than 3 weeks before the new iSight model came out. Which I got a bit angry about. And then not too long after the Intel model came out. And now there's a 24" model (which my friend bought). All in 2 years!
    I don't want to buy a brand new MacBook only to find the same thing happen again and a new model comes out. May sound silly but I'd much rather wait a few months if a new model is about to come out.

    You guys seem to know it all with this stuff, which is why I ask.

    Oh btw, I live in London, UK.


    Thanks.
     
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #2
    doubt it since they are the most recently updated product. i would think maybe may-ish. a good indication is the "Buyer's Guide" and heres the link

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
     
  3. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

    cartoonfox

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #3
    Ah thanks for that. : ]
    I think I will go ahead and buy one then.

    Cheers.
     
  4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #4
    you could maybe wait a little bit to get 10.5 and ilife07 included but then again tiger is great and you could end up waiting for whatever the next cool feature is.

    i mean you could wait for leopard and then be like heck may as well wait for the next macbook lol.

    i dont think you can go wrong with getting one now personally. the next os will be like 130 dollars or 70 if you are a student which is not bad at all
     
  5. Camui macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #5
    Personally I'm still trying to gather information to make a decision myself. In regards to size & weight, there is only a small difference between the MB & MBP.

    MB:
    Size (H x W x D) 1.08 x 12.78 x 8.92 inches
    Weight (8) 5.2 pounds

    MBP:
    Size (H x W x D) 1.0 x 14.1 x 9.6 inches
    Weight (8) 5.6 pounds


    8. Actual weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.

    I've only spent a couple mins in an Apple Store messing with them. I'm unsure if there is a big enough difference portability wise.
     
  6. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #6
    As far as portability, the Macbook wins out slightly, but both are pretty similar. I just got my MBP, after using a Macbook for about half a year. The MBP's screen resolution is really a nice touch... I always felt cramped on the Macbooks' screen. Also aluminum feels a lot sturdier than acrylic. The only thing is that I prefer the Macbook's keyboard, and the Magnetic latch.

    For me, the extra 2" in screen size still wins out. In fact, I would've gone for the 17", had it not been so much more expensive and slightly less easier to carry.
     
  7. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

    cartoonfox

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2005
    Location:
    London
  8. Camui macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #8
    NewSc2~~ That's exactly what I've been thinking.

    cartoonfox~~ That's a BIG reason why the MB is a big draw for me. I didn't mention it since I was focusing on portability. :)
     
  9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #9
    if cheaper is an issue then check out the refurbished section on the apple online store, you get basically new macbooks for 14% off if available.
     
  10. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #10
    If you really want to save you can just buy a refurbished Core (not 2) Duo Macbook for like $799/$899/$999.

    Even if a new one comes out the next day it is not like the prices on those are going to drop very significantly. Probably by $50 if you are really unlucky :)

    The differences between Core and Core 2 are not that huge anyway. Core Duos are really good value for money is that's what you are after.
     
  11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #11

    the smartest thing to do is stay like a revision behind so you don't pay obscene amounts for cutting edge tech. however it is hard to do when you are getting a new computer (for you not necessarily the latest computer lol)


    i personally like my core duo macbook alot as it does everything i need currently but then again i jumped from a 1ghz emac
     
  12. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #12
    Yeah, that is quite true.

    Latest toys always have a premium to it. Does anyone know what exactly happen to old stock when Apple updates their computers? Do they all automatically "turn" into refurbs?
     
  13. dougnewman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY, USA
    #13
    Occasionally you will see discontinued non-refurb Macs on the "clearance" page of the Apple.com "special deals" section.

    I think the Power Mac G5 Quad was the last Mac I saw on there. Right now the AirPort Extreme Base Station is on there ($129 - I'm actually thinking of buying one since I absolutely hate the Linksys wireless router we have now) along with various third-party stuff (a Brenthaven messenger bag, an obsolete Nikon digicam, etc.).

    It seems very rare that there is any new old stock at Apple, at least as far as Macs (and possibly iPods). Usually they seem to intentionally run down their inventory of an existing product before they introduce its replacement - or they wait for the inventory to run down before the announce the replacement; however you want to look at it.

    Of course, that does not mean that there is not NOS at independent retailers - in fact, there often seems to be. Some things get sold out really, really quickly, while others stay around for a long time. You can still buy a new 17" PowerBook from numerous places and it has been discontinued since what, May? The going rate for one seems to be $1,800 which seems rather steep to me. Ironically, I can think of a few places where you can still get a new 17" PB but I don't recall having come across any new Core Duo 17" MBPs lately!
     
  14. classof2011 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    Flying with American Airlines
    #14
    I have a maxed out Blackbook and in my opinion...if they do get an update and it's only processor speed, I sure as heck wouldn't regret not waiting and getting mine. It's very snappy even though I've got tons of things on it. I love :apple:
     
  15. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

    MACDRIVE

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2006
    Location:
    Clovis, California
    #15
    They go here: http://www.mac-pro.com/
     
  16. Epicurus macrumors 6502

    Epicurus

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #16
    If nothing else, the Core 2 Duo models should all have the 802.11n draft hardware built-in, even if it costs $1.99 to activate. If you're going to keep the system for a few years, the 'n' capability might turn out to be useful.
     
  17. Episteme macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2007
    #17
    The 64bit support of the C2D is a much bigger "future proof" selling point for me -- you can add new network cards after the fact relatively easily (if not terribly elegantly) but there's no way to bolt on 64bit support after the fact.
     
  18. XP Defector macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    #18
    For the next three years, it seems 64-bit processors won't offer much over their 32-bit counterparts. Whilst I'd rather have a 64-bit processor, I wouldn't make this a big issue on what to buy.
     
  19. acoustics940 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2006
    #19
    In order to keep up with everyones wanting new products every month apple shalt release a new laptop every month and os in order to fight against the SHOULD I WAIT TO BUY thread WHEN IS NEW LAPTOP COMING OUT thread SHOULD I WAIT 9 YEARS FOR ILIFE B4 BUYING threads.
     

Share This Page