new macbook, new to mac, errors, please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjsbass, Nov 20, 2006.

1. rjsbass macrumors member

Hey guys, i am brand new to the world of macs. i received the macbook as a gift over the weekend and i must say this thing is unbelievable. the 13.3 glossy monitor produces a better picture than any pc i have used. the intel chip also is great so just in case i get sick of mac OS, i can go back to xp. but honestly, the mac os is far better than xp IMO. HOWEVER, i do have SOME issues with the mac and i hope you guys can help. when using iChat or other programs, i get error messages saying that the programs quit unexpectedly . i suppose once in a while its ok to get those messages but i i get about 1 error per time i use the computer. ideas? anything would help i guess

2. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Did you get it new or was it a hand-me down? Odd that you'd get errors out of the box - thats so Windows! :)

Anyway, try this:

Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > and select 'Repair Disk Permissions'... See if that helps at all..

3. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

for kicks (and to save HD space), format the HD and reinstall OS X. This time, forego all of the foreign languages, fonts and printer drivers that you don't need. This is a general rule of thumb with all new macs.

That can generally fix a few things.

4. rjsbass thread starter macrumors member

WHAT! i should format? aw. is there anyway i can delete stuff off of it now and save space without formatting? can you list some stuff i should put into the trash

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

thats right scare the man/women away :D he/she came to mac to stop all them dam re-formating sagas;)

repair permissions does the trick - also do you have lots of stuff open ? like Photo Booth or iMovie ? they might be saping your sys memory for the camera ?

thinking about your errors your getting there - do you have anything else plugged into the mac? usb hard drive camera ect..

if you repair permissions and reboot the mac that normaly clears problems like that - if all else fails then you would then re-install the OS - easy as 123 - insert cd 1 click install Mac OS , it will then reboot and load up the installer follow instructions from then on - take about 20 min

:)

6. rjsbass thread starter macrumors member

o thank god, so its easier to reinstall than windows? im gonna go do that =D. the only thing i installed on here was firefox anyway, everything else really owns windows apps.

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

it's really easy to do - the macbook is a lovely laptop and very quick -

make sure you have both disc's as your iLife apps is on the 2nd one

you will have some options to erase+ install ( wipes everything ) i choose this if i want a clean install - make sure you have backed up everything before doing this

music/movies/photos - apps password list ect ..

8. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

Just use adium

www.adiumx.com

Its a lot better than iChat, but if your video chattin' then you still gotta use ichat.

Repair permissions every week or so.:)

9. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Personally, I wouldn't bother repairing permissions, but that's just me. It's mostly a placebo and only makes a difference in a few rare cases (maybe after installing a program with a poorly written installer, for example). This is a nice little rant that backs up my opinion. ;)

Instead, my first thought whenever applications crash is a memory problem. If the crashes continue, you should test your memory. There's a guide here.