New what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nmals23, Mar 12, 2007.

1. nmals23 macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2007
    Beaverton, OR
    I recently purchased a Black MacBook, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD (MacBook Pro seemed like too much computer) which I should get in a couple of days. I'm going to use it primarily for work -- database management, email, web, presentations etc... With the MacBook, I also got Apple Care, iWork, and a wireless mouse and keyboard.

I'm waiting for the universal applications of Office to come out, but other than that I don't really know what to get. I'll need Bootcamp and MS XP for some industry specific programs...anything else I should be looking at? Anything to help me get started?

By the way, I've never used a Mac before (long time PC user). I've always wanted to take the plunge though (I even bought a book on switching to a Mac......yes, I'm a huge newbie and a bit of a tool :D ).

Thanks for the help. Oh, and this website was a HUGE help in making my buying decision, thanks!
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Maybe look into using Parallels instead of BootCamp, so you can run programs in both Windows and OS X simultaneously. Other than that... Id say you'll find out what you need as you use your computer more! Enjoy your new MacBook!
  3. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    I'd get VirtueDesktops (website is kinda unreliable), and Google Earth, and hmm maybe Toast.

Other than that, sounds like you're good.

You will likely have some questions in the next few days/weeks. Feel free to ask in the appropriate forum!

4. iBenzin macrumors member

Mar 9, 2007