Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
You can, but need to start at the higher priced model.
No, you can't actually. You CAN configure the LOWER priced model (non Touch Bar equipped) with higher storage, but the 13" with Touch Bar is firmly locked at 256GB only. I just confirmed this with Apple directly, but the two reps I spoke with couldn't explain why this was the case given what was announced during the keynote but said the option wasn't even visible on their internal ordering system.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
This is absolute crap!!!!

Apple removes the 3.5mm jack from the iPhone 7 forcing the use of wireless or the Lightning port connected headphones (or the use of some stupid Lighting to 3.5mm converter).

So then consumers go out and purchase Lighting connected headphones and now the arrogant idiots release the new MacBook WITH a 3.5mm audio jack and NO Lighting connector.

Apple just finished telling everyone last month that the 3.5mm jack is a horrible outdated technology and we all should run out and purchase wireless or Lighting connected headphones.
Apple can't tell their arse from their elbow.

CraigN

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Tim Cook doesn't seem to realise that I'm using a 2011 MBP, heavily upgraded, as my main professional work machine because new models are as much downgrade as upgrade. I usually upgrade my main machine every 2 years.

As a hobby I play in bands and record music and I nearly ditched Logic, even though I liked it more than Cubase, because I wasn't sure if Apple would suddenly drop it.

Tim Cook is a crap CEO if he's making it so damn hard for long-time Apple users to give him money.
I'm the same, I have an Early 2011 15" MBP. I upgraded the memory immediately to 8GB and have since replaced the HD with a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO. It needed a new battery last year and that's the first fault it's had. It's still a very fast machine compared to many Wintel laptops I've had the displeasure of being given by work. It's starting to sweat a bit now, when I run multiple VMs it sounds like a small jet about to take off when the discrete graphics card and CPU overheat and the fans max out, I have to run it with a USB cooling pad for normal use and a small fan pointed at it when running even one VM so to not put extra pressure on aging kit.

I've delayed getting a replacement because the upgrades haven't been worth the hassle of getting one that's not maintainable or upgradeable by a user. I had planned on biting the bullet and getting a new one but I'll save my money and sweat my trusty 2011 for another year or so. The specs just aren't worth it for the price. I could fully trick out a Windows beast of a laptop using the latest technology and have a good bit of cash spare for my holiday fund.

The last year or two of Apple have just been shocking. I think back to my Mac Mini I used as a mini media server and downstairs terminal back in 2006, it got rebooted only for major OS updates, my first-generation Intel Macbook was much the same, robust, stable and a pleasure to use. In the last year, my two Macs (the other is a Mac Pro) have grumbled no end at the last two major OS upgrades, Sierra is a pig of an OS that's broken enough that I'm tempted to do my first ever wipe and rollback. I used to sneer at the Windows people waiting on the first Service Pack before upgrading but it's really getting like that with "macOS".

So, iffy new phone, no upgrade for me from my iPhone 6. Iffy new MacBook Pro, I'll keep my technologically ancient one. Iffy new OS, I'll rollback. No Mac Pro and no sign of a new one. So, from an Apple perspective, there's no likelihood of them getting any money from me anytime soon and that's from someone who really wants a new iPhone, a new top-end MacBook Pro and a replacement for my Mac Pro. If they don't sort it by the time it starts to impact my work then I'll probably move to Windows and hate Apple for it for a very long time.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
What is the need for a super huge trackpad?? I have last year's 13" rMPB and that trackpad size is plenty big. I don't get the large increase in the trackpad and the decrease in the keyboard travel. Before today, the keyboards on the MBP were always very satisfying and long lasting.

This thinner obssession doesn't really make that much difference to me in either the phone or the MBP. Too many connectors taken away and too many dongles in it's stead

Reactions: saytheenay

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
I'm the same, I have an Early 2011 15" MBP. I upgraded the memory immediately to 8GB and have since replaced the HD with a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO. It needed a new battery last year and that's the first fault it's had. It's still a very fast machine compared to many Wintel laptops I've had the displeasure of being given by work. It's starting to sweat a bit now, when I run multiple VMs it sounds like a small jet about to take off when the discrete graphics card and CPU overheat and the fans max out, I have to run it with a USB cooling pad for normal use and a small fan pointed at it when running even one VM so to not put extra pressure on aging kit.

I've delayed getting a replacement because the upgrades haven't been worth the hassle of getting one that's not maintainable or upgradeable by a user. I had planned on biting the bullet and getting a new one but I'll save my money and sweat my trusty 2011 for another year or so. The specs just aren't worth it for the price. I could fully trick out a Windows beast of a laptop using the latest technology and have a good bit of cash spare for my holiday fund.

The last year or two of Apple have just been shocking. I think back to my Mac Mini I used as a mini media server and downstairs terminal back in 2006, it got rebooted only for major OS updates, my first-generation Intel Macbook was much the same, robust, stable and a pleasure to use. In the last year, my two Macs (the other is a Mac Pro) have grumbled no end at the last two major OS upgrades, Sierra is a pig of an OS that's broken enough that I'm tempted to do my first ever wipe and rollback. I used to sneer at the Windows people waiting on the first Service Pack before upgrading but it's really getting like that with "macOS".

So, iffy new phone, no upgrade for me from my iPhone 6. Iffy new MacBook Pro, I'll keep my technologically ancient one. Iffy new OS, I'll rollback. No Mac Pro and no sign of a new one. So, from an Apple perspective, there's no likelihood of them getting any money from me anytime soon and that's from someone who really wants a new iPhone, a new top-end MacBook Pro and a replacement for my Mac Pro. If they don't sort it by the time it starts to impact my work then I'll probably move to Windows and hate Apple for it for a very long time.

Oh I agree, i brought 2015 15MBP top end last year as a stop gap between my 17"MBP and what I was expecting this year, and I cant justify it at all, this is the first iPhone cycle I have skipped from upgrading because there really isnt anything that makes me want to upgrade, and £200 headphones keep needing to be used. My 4,1 Mac Pro desktop is still amazing and great to have 8Tb inside with a 512GB SSD at the from and various PCI and firewire 800 cables coming out of it to power and use various external devices. I want to buy new things but I'm finding it very hard to justify the expense when I can spend the money on much more useful things.

choobs

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
The new prices are ridiculous everywhere.

A clear increase of $1500 dollars here in Australia for full specced MBP 15". That is insane!
Especially considering you're losing multiplie ports and will be forced to buy dongle after dongle just to get things connected.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Welp, a warning for fellow Australians, the pricing is not for the faint-hearted. Absolute madness, Apple. Good job on pricing out the vast majority of people in the market for a 15" notebook.

$3,600 AUD for a notebook with only a 256GB SSD in 2016 is utterly moronic and blatant price gouging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunyak

choobs

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
Welp, a warning for fellow Australians, the pricing is not for the faint-hearted. Absolute madness, Apple. Good job on pricing out the vast majority of people in the market for a 15" notebook.

$3,600 AUD for a notebook with only a 256GB SSD in 2016 is utterly moronic and blatant price gouging.

Indeed.
A full specced NEW 15" MBP is now AUD$6649 compared to the previous fully specced model being AUD$4919.
That is an insane jump! Even Applecare has been increased by $30 for the new model.
So you will pay $1730 more here in Australia and then still have to think about buying the cheapest adaptor starting at $29 before you can get the new machine to start working with your old gear or even $35! for a new USB-c to lightning cable because you are no longer able to plug in your iphone or ipad.
What the actual ****?
Way to go Apple. If you're trying to alienate your loyal customers, you have just succeeded.
I don't know who could justify spending that much money on a new laptop?
And let's not even get into how easy it is to add emojis with the new touchbar.
This is a pro machine, only children type with emojis....

keithtae

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
I'm genuinely disappointed... I've moved away from the Iphones few years ago and love my Samsung. And now they did that to my macbook.

There's a whole screen for us to interest with and they managed to come up with a touch BAR.

So while I'm busy looking at the screen, I have to look at the touch bar now too.

What is going on Apple?

I'm seriously looking into the surface laptop now.

Windows 10 has come a long way and was playing with one of the surfaces last week, their os really has improved.

Maybe it really is time to move away from apple completely. Urgh

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkroom photos

choobs

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
on upgrading the HD on the MBP 15" -
+ AUD$640 to upgrade to 1tb
+ AUD$1920 to upgrade to 2tb

By my reckoning, you should be getting 3tb if you're paying 3x the amount it costs to upgrade from 1tb to 2tb.
This is diabolical practice from Apple.
Absolutely disgusting price gouging.

Mortenest

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Even though the price seems a bit too steep, it seems that Apple has once again made a predictably nice and in some ways innovative (for better or worse) product. I had wished for a 7th generation Intel CPU, but I'm sure that the 15" will be a beast nevertheless in it's basic configuration.

My biggest concern with this release is actually more subtle in terms of the arrow keys of the keyboard. I have been an iOS developer for 3 years, and have loved every keyboard I've tried, until I tried the newest Magic Keyboard (which resembles this layout). The left and right arrow key have been made taller to fill the gap, so the keyboard has a more unified clean design. That gap was however an essential guide for you to strike the right key without looking down. In terms, I have made a lot of mistakes and used quite a lot of time fixing these mistakes, giving me an overall bad experience using that keyboard.

I know that if the feel with keyboard is the same, I will get frustrated to the point that I won't enjoy using that laptop as much as I do today.

Even I am surprised of how big of an impact such a tiny design decision has on my desire to get this laptop, so even though I have been waiting for so long now to buy it, I'm feeling hesitant solely because if this.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I hope my macbook air lasts forever because there is no way I am spending over $2000 canadian after tax for the base model 13". Apples market share is going to tank so hard. What the heck are they thinking, nothing uses Thunderbolt or USB-C and no students are blowing 2 grand on these things

Reactions: Bunyak

baconsandwich

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
Vancouver, Canada
I've been stretching out the life of my mid-2012 MBP and hanging on for a year for the new one. I'm happy to see it finally launched so I can stop using this slow p.o.s. and no longer have to stop my from frisbee-ing it out the window.

I'm personally not seeing a crazy bump in pricing; last week, I priced the old MBP at the highest spec. to see what my approximate replacement cost would be - I have to do full spec to future-proof it as much as possible. I use it for work and I have to look at getting three years out of it. I think it came in around CAD$4200. After today there's a performance bump and a few other improvements - and whatever novelty stuff (Touch Bar) that I'm not that bothered about. I use an external keyboard and monitor, so I don't care much. The full spec. version is now only $500 or so more than last week (1TB, not 2TB SSD... that upgrade was just friggin' stupid!). Not much of a change as far as I'm concerned.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First event I've been disappointed by. Was hoping for a new Mac mini.

You know the REASON why the Mac Mini + TouchBar on external / wireless external keyboard doesn't exit is the FREAKING GODD*** $$$ PRI$C they'd sell half of these.

Since it's been years since I've owned on ... I'm contemplating between:
13" MBP+TouchBar standard Core i5 + 16GB RAM and 512GB Storage or
15" MBP+TouchBar Quad-Corei7+16GB RAM & 512GB Storage 4GB RadeonPro graphics.

Basically the latter is very close (I'm guessing) to the performance of the 2013 MPro TrashCan.
[doublepost=1477614669][/doublepost]Hmm.

SurfaceBook vs MBP 15" RAM limitation vs Pricing being very much the same.
but the SB is a tablet as well
Pricing all over the world a bit much, limitations on increasing storage/RAM + ready for accidents with no MagSafe = Apple has successfully create a VERY idiot expensive proof disposable laptop! CACHING!

Now you know WHO is paying for the $12Billion + SpaceShip office!

I'm getting VERY spooked out about Fredirigi: not just the combed bushy eyebrows (reminiscent of CannonBall Run 2's Doctor, LMAO) but also cause of that pyramid hand gesture (reminiscent of "V" TV show: Diana's 2nd in command did that all the time, hmmm).

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Who lot of crying about Pro models from people that aren't pro users in here. If you don't spend 4+ hours a day in pro apps, you aren't considered a pro user.

Real pros don't cry about the price because these machines help them get their job done faster and better. If these new machines shave a couple hours after their work in a month, they've paid for themselves even if they cost 2x as much.

Says the OldSchool"PRO"MacGuy. Consider all you want crusty

Bunyak

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I hope my macbook air lasts forever because there is no way I am spending over $2000 canadian after tax for the base model 13". Apples market share is going to tank so hard. What the heck are they thinking, nothing uses Thunderbolt or USB-C and no students are blowing 2 grand on these things
Campus thieves will probably target these machines. It'll be a nice payday if they can get their hands on one...

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
I still much prefer macOS over Windows. Linux doesn't have the mainstream apps I use. So i'm a bit stuck. I think I'll end up making a powerful Hackintosh and augmenting it with whatever the cheapest Mac laptop is. The entire Mac lineup is stupid and overpriced to me.
I built a Skull Canyon hackintosh a few months ago to stave off my full desktop hankering until Kaby Lake next year (I really need full HEVC decode for my nx500 footage). Along with a 4k Dell monitor it outperforms the entry level Retina iMac sitting next to it. Hopefully the only good thing to come of the new Macs is increasing Skylake support for various processor models in macOS.
As long as you build out your hackintosh right, its pretty hard to be disappointed: tonymacx86.com
[doublepost=1477622958][/doublepost]
I must agree. The biggest reason I really loved the Mac in the first place was the OS. And I sure loved the hardware too. Now it seems I'm stuck with the superexpensive hardware due to the OS, still can't imagine going to Windows. Well played Apple.

Gotta start imagining much better...
Go hackintosh, best of both worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.