New Macbook Pro, Wheres all my HD space gone?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HarrySlone, Nov 2, 2006.

1. HarrySlone macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    Today I recieved my first mac. A C2D Macbook Pro 15". So far I am loving it, but i have a question. All that I have installed so far is Azureus. I havent put on any of the programs I am going to need, Office, matlab, WOW, Quicken, and all my 18 Gb of music, parralles with windows and maybe a linux distro, ect. on and it tells me that I have already used 20Gb of my 120 GB drive. Does this seem excesive to anyone else? Is there "bloatware" that is taking all my space? What can i take off? I am thinking of garage band as i dont plan on using it, but what else?

As maybe a side note, how do i unstall garage band. I did a search on here and all it said was to drag it from the application folder to the trash, is it really that simple?

Well i guess thats my questions for now, Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give to this new mac fan.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Well, it's not really "bloatware"... iLife actually takes up TONS of space (iMovie and GarageBand especially with sound effects and sample music...). I think OS X also has around 3 or 4 GB worth of languages pre-installed.

Yes, uninstalling most applications in OS X is done by simply dragging it to the trash. No registry to mess up!

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

GarageBand (and especially its libraries of loops) and iDVD (especially its themes) take up quite a few GB of space. Printer drivers also take up a good chunk of room, as do foreign languages support files (which can be removed using Delocalizer).

You can just delete the GarageBand program, but you need to find the loops in order to really save space. Use a program like WhatSize or OmniDiskSweeper to find large files and folders...they'll usually point you in the right direction.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

120GB ≠ 120GB... its more like 113GB or so. Just remember that when making your calculations. The best way to figure out how much you're actually using is to go under the get info window and look at "Used".

Now, if you are already doing this, then it is just iLife, etc... although even 20GB seems a bit too high. Remember that OS X comes preinstalled with all the printer drivers and languages, so you can save over 5GB by reinstalling and leaving out most of those, not to mention saving a gig or so by leaving out the GarageBand "Demo" songs...