New MacBook Pro + Which Wireless router??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hubble, Feb 2, 2007.

1. hubble macrumors newbie

Hi can anyone help.

I've just taken delivery of my new MacBook pro and would like to know which would be the best wireless router to go with my laptop. Also as stupid as it may sound are the routers easy to set up?? I'm currently with Tiscali and have just spent the last 20 minutes trying to tell the guy there that I own a MAC and not PC!.

I've got a feeling this may not be an easy set-up...
    Any info you can recommend would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you already have a wireless router, it should be an easy setup. G-speeds are more than enough for Internet (even the fastest broadband). If you need to move a lot of files, however, or pipe an HD video signal over wireless, just get the new Apple N router.

3. hubble thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a wireless router which is why I'm asking for the best one to go with my macbook pro

4. maccaa macrumors newbie

Hi Hubble,

Think you wasted 20mins there :) I'm with tiscali it doesnt make any difference to them mac or pc. I'm no techie but connected to my netgear wireless router easier than you can believe.

I tend to agree with netdog, I'll probably change to Apple N router soon, no real need to upgrade to N but, hey why not!

Maccaa

5. hubble thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi maccaa thanks for your reply.

regarding the settings for the VCI, ENCAPSULATION MODE, DNS settings, PROTOCOL etc, did you have to contact your broadband provider for these??

6. maccaa macrumors newbie

Hi hubble,

Wow, far to technical for me! essentially apart from allowing my mac to connect to the router it worked. If I can help with any settings I can look them up on the router software, but most must have been automatic. I had been using the "speed touch" I think there may be some help at this link

http://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-...TEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1tYWM*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Maccaa

Macfixit link could help you choose as well http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070105083013439

7. hubble thread starter macrumors newbie

maccaa you have been most helpful.

Will be down to PC world tomorrow morning for a router. Thanks again for your help. Will let you know how I get on.

hubble

8. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

One last-minute piece of advice:

Please avoid existing Wireless N hardware, (that isn't from Apple). You are fine with the suggestions on macfixit for B and G, but paying extra for non-Apple Wireless N (802.11n) routers is a waste of money, since none of them are compatible, and there is no guarantee they will become compatible in the future through firmware.

9. hubble thread starter macrumors newbie

Krevnik

so your saying avoid Netgear?? but Belkin are ok??

10. maccaa macrumors newbie

hubble,

KrevniK was suggesting you avoid an "N" compatable (802.11N) router, I don't think he was trying to say don't get a netgear, aim for a (802.11G) unit unless you are transfering large files between two mac's in you house..(that are both "N" compatible.)

There...clear as mud.

Maccaa:)

11. hubble thread starter macrumors newbie

Got you. Thanks maccaa

Sorry about asking so many questions. I know more about dark matter than I do on networking....

hubble

12. maccaa macrumors newbie

See,

That's two things you know more about than me. Networking AND dark matter

Pleasure

Maccaa

13. shecky Guest

shecky

i am surprised i cannot find a brand-name wireless G router for less than $50, most are $75-$100. i would have thought by now they would be going for $25 all day. guess not.

14. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Funny, I'd expect that anyone selling 802.11n now would update their products once the standard becomes ratified. Indeed, I think since we're seeing so many products that interoperability will be a main goal, not just a nice-to-have.

I'd also expect things based on 1.10 to be interoperable for the most part, since the 2.0 draft was recently approved but final ratification on 802.11n isn't expected until late 2008. While it's not certain that the "Connects with Centrino" stuff will work with Apple's hardware (since Apple isn't certified by Intel) I'd like to see something more definite, since all the products are based on the same draft spec.

15. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I have the Netgear wireless router (G) and it works great! I'm very happy with it, setup was a breeze. They sell here for $39.

allison.

16. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

You would think so, and for the /most/ part they are, but each model has particular issues with other vendors, and it is different from model to model. D-Link's N + Gigabit is pure trash (IMO), as it mis-behaves with ISP connections. Linksys' N router drops wireless data speeds in /one/ direction down to sub-802.11b speeds, while the Netgear does the same, but in the other direction. While I do expect at least one of these vendors to actually make updates available, we have no ideas which one will provide proper customer support, and which ones will decide it is better to sell a new model on the final spec.

Put simply, don't buy a product based on what they /might/ provide in the future, and have never committed to, as you are likely to get the shaft when your assumption turns out to be wrong.

17. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Not true, I have a Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti WZRG300N. I have a MBP C2D and my Wife has a MB C2D. No problems with connection drop or any problems of late that folks have been having. Speed is fantastic, have not tried to see how far I can go as it is meeting our needs just fine. Both laptops always have 4 bars. When a restart or woken from sleep both laptops connect immediately. Using WPA Personal for security.

18. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

That's nothing compared to IPSec where two products from *one* vendor couldn't even interact. I'd just really like to see Apple in the Intel interop program, then we'd be assured some base level of interconnection with the 1.10 draft spec and the 2.0 draft spec later this year. Aetheros can't afford to not talk to the Intel chipset and still be in the market, so I expect the vendors will do the minimum necessary to interoperate.

Not conforming to the final spec will likely result in class-action suits- or may be part of the consortium agreement- that'd be worth a bit of research.

19. elcapo macrumors newbie

Hey

I also doubt about wich router must i buy, but I finally bought the Linksys WRT54GS, it's really nice and when configuring it was just a second.

I think, the wireless router must be choosen in order to what you want it for, for example if you only want it for internet and somethings that don't move many data you must take a G one. In case you need to move many data, take an N router (you must wait until apple's router :p).

Hope you could buy a usefull router for you.

elcapo

20. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Have you run the enabler on the two machines? The new N hardware runs fine if you stick to B/G speeds, but a lot of them have performance issues one-way once you enable N speeds with Apple hardware. No dropped connections, or packet errors, just simply poor speeds in one direction.

If you have enabled the two laptops for 802.11N, then this will literally be the first third-party router someone has found that works... (and I am still stuck waiting for a gigabit version that works).

21. itsme92 Guest

I second this. I have a Linksys WRT54GS, and it is an excellent router.

22. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

I agree that the WRT54G/GS models are great little routers. I just upgraded from one.