Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we'd heard an unconfirmed report that three new MacBook Pro models had appeared in Best Buy's inventory systems. Some inventory screenshots (1, 2) we received today appear to confirm this earlier report, showing off the upcoming $1999 price point MacBook Pro (name cut off in image).

Information found in early inventory appearances, however, is difficult to rely on, as many of the details may be "best guess" placeholders only. For what its worth, these new SKUs come with the exact same price points as current MacBook Pros ($1999, $2499, $2799) and show an in-stock date of February 10th, 2008.

This date adds to a laundry list of other possible dates (Feb 5th, Feb 12th, Mar 17th) that have been trickling in on our Page 2. Unfortunately, this new date is likely an estimate, but does reflect expectations of an imminent MacBook Pro release.

Though we aren't familiar with the workings of Best Buy's inventory system, we presume they have some reason to believe that the systems are coming. In contrast, Amazon notoriously posted placeholders for iWork '07 and iLife '07 ahead of Macworld Expo based purely on speculation. Apple, of course, skipped iWork '07 and iLife '07 versions and went straight to '08 versions eight months later.

While the new MacBook Pros will likely incorporate only modest updates (Penryn and Multi-Touch), with their imminent release, its hard to justify the purchase of the current 8 month old models.

Article Link

amacisbetter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Glad I Waited To Buy My New Macbook Pro!

I've been waiting to buy a Macbook Pro for about a month now because I figured an update was inevitable. Once they introduce these new Macbook Pros I will be buying one! I can't wait! The new trackpad would be a nice new feature.

Chadder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
Bozeman, Montana
That Macbook Pro with multi-touch, macbook air keyboard, and a NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT in it, better arrive on tuesday!!:D

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
Im glad I didnt wait!

I love this machine and when the new ones come out, by the time the kinks are all out of the new ones say around september I will be happy to sell this one and get a new one and have had nearly a year with this great machine:cool:

statc

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I really hope they come out either this or next week. I haven't used a mac since the bubble imacs we had in middle school, and I've been waiting since September to get a MBP. The more time that goes by the more the dell xps 1330 is looking better, especially now with Ubuntu on it.

Aviv

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I've Been Waiting Since August !!!

Oh jeez, come on already Apple :apple:.

I've been waiting since August 07 to buy a new laptop. Macbook Pro is my only option as a creative professional.

I'll admit... I love toys.... A new MBP is not a necessity (this is the first time I have ever admitted this).... BUT ! Please would you just release one already ???

It's been so long !!!!! SOOOOO LONG !!!!!!

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
It shows the box size for the new MBP... is this any different than the current one? they would probably change it to be like the Air and the iPhone/Touch wouldnt they?

Also, the 10th is a Sunday, which is when stores usually list new products. So, it would make sense that this would be the sale date if the MBP comes out on the 5th.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It shows the box size for the new MBP... is this any different than the current one? they would probably change it to be like the Air and the iPhone/Touch wouldnt they?

Good point. That size is way too big. 9.6 inches in its smallest dimension? I believe the current MBP boxes are only 3-3.5 inches thick.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Oh jeez, come on already Apple :apple:.

I've been waiting since August 07 to buy a new laptop. Macbook Pro is my only option as a creative professional.

I'll admit... I love toys.... A new MBP is not a necessity (this is the first time I have ever admitted this).... BUT ! Please would you just release one already ???

It's been so long !!!!! SOOOOO LONG !!!!!!

You've been waiting since August when the last update was in June. Why didn't you buy in August since they were less than 2 months old?

flukewurm

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2003
if it doesn't come with the magnetic latch then i'll probably just put a bigger HD in my macbook.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
interesting. seems like quite a few rumors around this update, with no one really knowing much, except that they are coming. hopefully soon

Well, technically we don't even know for sure they are coming or what exactly the update will be...we're just all hoping/expecting/assuming. It's not called MacRumors for nothing. :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Forget new hardware - get the OS 10.5.2 update out with fixes for Leopard's wifi problems!!! I know that work being done on new Mac hardware won't really slow down work on the OS update, but until the OS update comes out, even the newest Mac will probably have wifi problems.

C'mon Apple! It's really frustrating to have what otherwise would be the best home computer OS that's ever existed, but that can't do one of the most important OS functions without having major problems! :mad:

Allanist

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
About those screenshots:
1) It's not necessarily a Macbook Pro
2) It's not necessarily a new model of Macbook Pro
3) It will be obsoleted in two months (4-6-2008) so I'll keep on waiting™

:p

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
2) It's not necessarily a new model of Macbook Pro

It could just be different boxes. Sometimes when the box changes the SKU changes. Over X-mas i was working at FutureShop (which is owned by best buy) and i saw a couple times where the box for an iPod accessory had changed and the new boxes had different SKU's and UPC's.

Also sometimes things have more than one SKU associated with them, though usually not.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Also, the 10th is a Sunday, which is when stores usually list new products. So, it would make sense that this would be the sale date if the MBP comes out on the 5th.

Good point. That size is way too big. 9.6 inches in its smallest dimension? I believe the current MBP boxes are only 3-3.5 inches thick.

The way I read that purported inventory sheet each box would hold 2 15.4" MBP's.

Apple lists the weight of the 15" at 5.4 lbs. and the dimensions of 14.1X9.6 inches. The sheet shows a weight of a little over 10 lbs. and the box is 19.5X19.4X9.6. Two 15" Macbook Pros ( including packaging ) would fit in one box.

Each one in it's own box stacked flat.

Bigsam411

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
I work for best buy. I will go in tomorrow and check these skus out to see what they are and post back. That in stock date usually means nothing when it comes to apples random release dates. For example it shows the Macbook air with an in stock date of february 10 as well. regardless I will post back tomorrow with more info if I find any.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Great. Update them to penryn and let me buy one. However don't update the keyboard to match the macbook air. Reminds me of the earlier macbook pros (ti book I think). Ugly with the black keyboard imo.

However if they do a new keyboard and do the update to the casing, a la the macbook, it would be an even tradeoff. As long as it included easier HD swapping and a magnetic latch.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have a second generation MacBook Pro and it's been great. I'll wait for WWDC for a new case MBP with a Magnetic latch and probably other features matching the MacBook Air.

I find it funny how people buy a computer, hold on to it for a few months then sell it on eBay losing money only to get a very similar computer with minor changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.