Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

163935-macbook_pro_2010_lineup.jpg

While all signs are pointing to updated MacBook Pros appearing later this week, most likely on Thursday, details on what changes might be included have been rather scant. But a new report from BGR now offers a few claims about what might be included beyond an upgrade to Intel's Sandy Bridge processors.

The first tidbit of information claims that the new MacBook Pros will offer larger trackpads than those found on current models, opening the door for greater flexibility for users and perhaps options for more complex gestures.

The report also claims that the updated machines will offer a dedicated solid-state drive of 8-16 GB to house Mac OS X system files that would allow for fast system boot-up and performance. Additional machine storage would be made available in either traditional hard drives or with solid-state drive upgrades.
The next bit of information doesn't quite make sense to us, but we have been told the OS on the laptops will be loaded to a separate (internal) 8-16GB SSD while everything else will remain on the regular hard drive. There will be options for just SSD drives but the base models will feature regular hard disks with the SSD combo for the OS.
The idea of separate flash-based storage for system files is not a new one, as reports dating back to early 2006 suggested that Apple might adopt Intel's "Turbo Memory" feature that offered similar functionality. At the time the advantages of using an SSD/Hard Drive hybrid were improved performance and longer battery life:
[Turbo Memory] utilizes NAND flash memory instead of the hard disk for computer startup and launching frequently used applications. The use of this technology would allow for faster boot up times and improved battery life in portables utilizing the technology.
Finally, the report's source indicates that Apple has shaved approximately half a pound off of the weight of each of the MacBook Pro models.

Article Link: New MacBook Pros to Carry Larger Trackpads, Dedicated SSD for Mac OS X?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
All of those features sound great, to me.

I hope, if true, they also come with a price decrease and longer battery. (Though admittedly, anything is better than my 2006-era MBP).

-=|Mgkwho

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
If the trackpad is going to be even larger it must have some sort of new functionality or something?

Voondebah

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
If this is only for the OS, it's not ideal. I want space to put my applications so they launch quickly! 8 GB is too little, and 16 GB might be too little as well. Suppose it's better than a HDD only though!

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
8-16 gigs will only be big enough for system files not too many apps. A quick look at my apps folder shows that i'm tipping the scale at slightly over 80 gigs :/

EDIT: From AI: Higher end models are said to use SSD exclusively, much like Apple's existing MacBook Air line.

I hope THAT is true. I'm shooting for the 2200 15 inch mbp.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not sure I like this.. I have a Sandforce based drive, I don't want any sub par ssd that was made in some Korea sweatshop

My Computer boots in 13 sec.. I don't want that to change

and it should be 40 Gigs.. to add "breathing room" for the SSD and apps

Elvin908

Feb 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Let's wait till thrusday to see if all this rumors come true.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
My macbook is almost dead now. Barely working anymore. Lets hope the new ones show up this thursday and have as many new features as it can coz I wont be buying my next one for atleast next 3-4 years :eek:

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Bigger track pad = great!
8-16GB SSD = fine as long as I have an option for 1 large SSD only
lighter = awesome

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I can't imagine any major changes except sandy bridge if they are not having a media event.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
If this is only for the OS, it's not ideal. I want space to put my applications so they launch quickly! 8 GB is too little, and 16 GB might be too little as well. Suppose it's better than a HDD only though!

A hybrid is a great way to keep costs down, while boosting performance. While I agree 16 gigs is too small, you can always opt for the SSD option for more $$$.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
Something tells me there won't be an optical drive! At least not on the 13" model

Well 8-16GB or storage could easily fit on the motherboard itself. But I dont get the point to making it only fit OS X. If only the OS gets the speed bump I don't see the use in it unless it acts like the Seagate hybrid drive where it can also cache other applications to to help boost their performance too.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Would love SSD-on-board (similar to MacBookAir). I am guessing there will still be room for standard 2.5" drive and optical.

Is it going to have an iPad as trackpad? ;)

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
A smaller SSD for the OS and frequently used apps and a big regular HD for file storage sounds pretty awesome to me! I can't wait to hear what is announced!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.