New MacBook spits out Office 2004 DVD (legal copy)???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sjcaguy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

Nov 24, 2003
    Hi all,

I just purchased a brand-new Macbook (black). It's replacing a trusty iBook and joining a family of Apple products in my house.

Having a problem, though, reading discs. So far the new MacBook keeps rejecting CD's that I didn't burn. I've tried both the digital camera installer software and MS Office 2004 cd's. I insert the disc, but the icon never shows up on the desktop and the computer never successfully reads the disc.

It makes two or three attempts-- I can hear the drive trying to spin up-- but then it stop and ejects the disc. I tried a CD I made that has documents on it in the drive and it works smoothly, and the MS Office 2004 disc works fine in the Mac Mini I'm typing this from.

Ran software update, updated prebindings, etc etc. Should I take it back to the store tomorrow? Will they replace it or send it in? This is the first time I've had trouble with a brand new Mac and I'm bummed.
  2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Sep 16, 2001
    Tuttlingen, Germany
    Definitely take it back. I'm sure they won't have a problem replacing it for you :)
  3. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2006
    Kansas. No, not on a farm.
    Office 2004 for Mac isn't an Intel or even Universal binary.

Maybe that is the problem?
  4. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    It shouldnt be the problem. That's what Rosetta is for.
  5. sinecurea macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Northern Ireland
    No, it doesn't matter what the disk is. What happens when you insert the DVDs that came with the Macbook?