New MacBook Ultimate, good deal in store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gusruck, Jul 15, 2006.

1. gusruck macrumors newbie

I recently made the jump and bought a new blackbook ultimate. Its my first mac and so far I love it. Anyways the reason I'm posting is due to the price of the macbook. I bought the macbook ultimate which is just the same as the regular black macbook with 1 gig of ram. It is priced at 1599 in store without edu discount. However, when i used my edu discount the price dropped 200 to 1399, which is the same price as the regular black macbook with 512mb of ram with edu discount.

So basically I think i got an extra 512mb of ram for free. Anyone else get the same thing?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, that's awesome, congrats. I'd be interested to know if this is an isolated incident...

3. JosiahPB macrumors regular

This sounds almost too good to be true? I'll look into it, I'm going to an Apply store today!

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

5. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Surprised? people are randomly getting free RAM? Makes no sense...

6. esaleris macrumors 6502

That logic doesn't make sense. You're comparing apples to oranges. You are not saving any money because the Blackbook would be cheaper on an education discount. If both prices drop, say $100 becuase of your .edu discount, you're not "saving" any money.

Unless they do not offer Blackbooks on an education discount at all, except the Ultimate edition.

7. mac4matt macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Black Macbook w/ 512 MB of ram (standard configuration) is normally $1399 with the Education discount. Therefore, an Ultimate config. with 1 GB of ram for $1399 would represent a good deal, indeed.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds like you got a great deal, congrats on the purchase of your new MacBook gusruck. :)

9. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

Great buy OP

I don't know if anybody's noticed this, but I just looked online and, correct me if I'm wrong, the blackbooks are listed as shipping "within 24 hours." A couple of days ago I could have sworn they were shipping in 1-2 days. Maybe Apple is aware of this free memory upgrade, and trying to diminsh a large stock.:confused: