New Macbook vs. iBook G4 14"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Rovias, May 6, 2006.

1. Rovias macrumors member

Just wondering...if the new Macbooks do come with a 1.5 GHz Core Solo and integrated graphics, what would the performance be like stacked up against the current 14" iBook G4?

I do some *light* video and photo editing from time to time. By light, I mean using iPhoto, iMovie HD, and occasionally Final Cut Express. I'm wondering if native versions of these apps would run speedier on the G4 than on the Intel chip. Other than that, I'll just be using it for word processing (running Pages), web surfing, some dabbling in Garageband, and of course MS Office.

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The MacBook's will probably have core-duo's in them (1.5/1.6), and will have a huge performance boost. As long as the app is universal, it should run a lot faster than the G4.

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same thought here. :)

Come on Apple, no crappy integrated graphics on the MacBook........please! :)

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

1. core solo + integrated graphics = not much better than ibook, if at all
    2. core solo + dedicated graphics (unlikely) = not much better on photos but better on video
    3. core duo + integrated graphics = a lot faster, especially on photos
    4. core duo + dedicated graphics = a lot faster on everything

we just don't know what the macbooks will look like yet.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's a good list. It's safe to say Core Duo will make an appearance, which means Universal binaries will be 2-3x faster.

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

If they went with the core duo + dedicated graphics I would buy one the day they were available, like I did this one. I really hope they do that. If they did that, i'd have to sell mine! Do I really want to be a beta hardware tester for Apple though?

I'd do it! hahah

Z

8. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

if there are integrated graphics, i won't be able to help feeling like my relatively ancient but trusty iBook will have a leg up on the new Macbooks.

9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I basically agree with the list, but I'd like to add that an integrated Intel GMA 950 would handicap the new Macbook pretty severely if you want to do any gaming (or also probably video editing on it). Even a Core Duo model with a 128 MB Intel GMA950 will fall short of the current iBook with a dedicated 32MB Radeon 9550 in most games. The Intel Core processor is very solid, but a lot of what you'd be using your new i/Macbook for is pretty heavy optimized for the G4's Altivec, so I don't know if a Core Solo would be worth it.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Same here. And we won't be kidding ourselves, either; the radeon 9500 is really a good bit better than the GMA950. I don't think I'll be selling this baby for a while (not until rev. B MBP maybe) unless there are dedicated graphics options on the MB. 3 more days and we'll know. :)

11. Pokeon macrumors newbie

Pokeon

I really hope its some kind of dedicated gfx card... I wanna dump this P4 on my desktop for a MacBook... And give the P4 to my sister and parents to destroy with their non-techniess + windows. Oh that its not too $$$

12. sk1985 macrumors regular

Man I've always thought of the iBooks as sort of a portable iMac (at least thats how they've been advertised in the past). If the iMac had integrated graphics then the Macbook would too. Mac mini's on the other had are made to be super lowend macs. So I could understand that model having integrated graphics, but an iBook cost several hundreds more and I'd really be surprised if apple went a cheaper route with the MacBook.

13. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Don't kid yourself, a Core Solo with Intergrated Video would still be a noticeable improvement over the ancient G4 chip.