New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thrckb, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. thrckb macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #1
    I just got a new MB and now (as usual) they are announcing the speed bump. Is it worth the trouble to return in before my 14 days expire just for the speed bump. I have the 2.0 with 2 gig of ram and the 120 hard drive. Now that I think of it, I wonder if I can even return in since it was a special config.
    :confused:
     
  2. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #2
    Nobody knows for sure, they may decide to hold the MB back until later in the year just to let the MBP bask in the limelight for a while for all we know...
     
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #3
    You can't return build-to-order configurations.

    And Apple hasn't announced anything anyway...we've had lots of rumors about new MacBooks, and none of them have come true yet.
     
  4. icec0ld macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    #4
    if you were aware of anything about intel you would know they introduce new chips every few months. so if you plan on having the "latest and greatest" mac, you're probably going to be looking at upgrading every 6 months or so now presuming apple decides to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. so you have 3 choices, stop worrying about the future and enjoy the present, never buy a mac again as it will more than likely get outdated weeks after you get it or sell and trade every time there is a new update. personally for me, i went from ibook to macbook recently because i felt the investment towards an intel mac is beneficial and will keep me set for a few good years without worry.
     
  5. Machead III macrumors 6502

    Machead III

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2002
    Location:
    UK, France
    #5
    The fact that the entire planet is gaggging for MacBook updates and that the current models are old and ridiculously overpriced per their parts, means that you don't need to worry.

    The basic rule is, take the time frame by which Apple should release/update/fix something, then add 6 months.
     
  6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

    Jiddick ExRex

    Joined:
    May 14, 2006
    Location:
    Roskilde, DK
    #6
    Does a 7% increase in performance really bother you that much?
     
  7. JMies419 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    #7
    I went to the apple store on Sept. 16th and said to hell with it and bought a brand new white macbook and grabbed a 20 doller 4gig ipod nano... I dont know about you thrckb, but I am very pleased with my purchase and would not go back on it! If they release a macbook with a slight speed bump in a few weeks so what. I dont think I would even notice the difference. I am happy as can be with my mac, the only thing that might upset me is if they release a newly designed macbook with a different case and some extra features ( which I do not see happening ). A slight speed bump though..oh well. If you waited for the speed bump then bought, 2 months later there would be another one anyways..so no worried from me. :D
     
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #8
    Normally I'd say not to wait, but since the update is so darned close.....


    Ah hell, you can't return it anyway. The only other option is to eBay or something, and I really wouldn't bother. It's not worth the small increase in performance.
     
  9. MisterEd macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    #9
    Yep eBay is an option. I've seen new MacBooks go for more than their education price from Apple there.... scary!
     
  10. anim8or macrumors 65816

    anim8or

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland, UK
    #10
    What do you need/use your laptop for?

    If you are using it for more memory and processor intensive software than word porcessing, and iLife then maybe you should return it and get more for your money.

    If not then be happy with what you have as it is a excellent laptop and will serve you well.

    good luck.
     
  11. thrckb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #11
    Great feedback

    I seem to agree with you guys on the "not worrying" part, cause one thing I have learned is Apple will make some thing to deprived us "addicts" of our money.

    I should own stock since I buy so much stuff from them.

    Its not that I need the increase performance it's some where between having the latest and greatest and not getting beat out of my money. I swear that Steve Jobs has a line on my credit card in that as soon as I buy something it signals him to release an update to something I just bought. :D
     
  12. Nuks macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    #12
    Just keep it. You'll be happy you did. Mine's in the mail and should be here soon. Everyone always says "just wait until this special event, it's only x days away." And then when the upgrade doesn't come (which it never does!), they'll say the same thing again. Instead of waiting for something you have NO idea when is going to happen, just keep it, and enjoy it. This next upgrade isn't going to make a huge difference anyway. I got sick of waiting, purchased when I did, and I'm glad because I know I'll have a great machine regardless, and the majority of people will be sitting in front of old computers saying "only x more days until it comes."

    Now I could be wrong, and it could come out soon, but if you're always playing the waiting game, you'll never get what you want. By the time Merom comes out Santa Rosa will be around the corner.
     
  13. Michael J macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle
    #13
    One reason to wait

    I've got a 17" but am downsizing to 15" because my company requires me to use a PC so I'll be traveling with two computers (yes, I'm a total geek). Anyhow, I'm waiting on the merom series because they may have longer battery life due to the energy efficient processor. We'll see what happens next week. I had already ordered a special order 15" and it arrives this weekend, but I put through an order cancellation so I can send it back at no cost. We'll see...
     
  14. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #14
    Merom is 10-20% faster than Yonah at the same clock speed...
     
  15. bearbo macrumors 68000

    bearbo

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #15
    they've announced a speed bump? (no, seriously?)

    that's only on selective areas... some areas show 0 improvement
     
  16. purelithium macrumors 6502

    purelithium

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Location:
    Kingston, Canada
    #16

    But we've also forgotten that Merom runs cooler and uses less electricity than Yonah....
     

Share This Page