Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Gotta be. That's what I've been waiting for. If they're gonna be faster they've gotta be Santa Rosa & 3100 IG so we can run FCS 2 & CS3 with 4 GB of ram.No I will. :p

I hope so but I am not holding my breath. I am buying three for employees and two for family members independent of what the actual updates are. So make all these folks happy Apple :)

Rocketman

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
redesign needed

MacBook has to get slimmer. you can get cheaper pc laptops that are lighter and thinner.

Also Santa Rosa with better integrated graphics is welcome.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I hope so but I am not holding my breath. I am buying three for employees and two for family members independent of what the actual updates are. So make all these folks happy Apple :)

Rocketman

Are you looking for a new employee?--))))))):D

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
I think the MB will be updated within the year and the MP/MBP will be at MWSF.

Any modest upgrade and better graphics for MB is good enough for me.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
MacBook has to get slimmer. you can get cheaper pc laptops that are lighter and thinner.

Also Santa Rosa with better integrated graphics is welcome.

The MacBook is already 1.08" thick........ what PC laptops can you get for CHEAPER than the MacBook that are lighter AND thinner?

The only machines I can think of that are lighter at least are things like the Sony SZ series and XPSm1330, but neither of those are cheaper.

And there are some 12" PC laptops that are el cheapo (Asus F9S, Lenovo 3000, etc.) but they are also considerably thicker.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
no glossy

don't me much care too much bout faster, slimmer or cheaper.

I just want one that isn't glossy!!

please steve!

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
yes, absolutely Mac Pros must get here before the new year. i've been holding myself back from getting a Mac Pro until they get a blu-ray/hd dvd burner. I do video production, and i can currently shoot and edit in HD, but i want to be able to easily deliver in HD as well. the Mac Pro is expected to get a burner first, and i will be one of the first to buy one.
Well there is nothing stopping you from fitting your own burner in one and using Adobe Encore CS3.

But I can't see Apple fitting a HD burner in their MacPros until they update DVD Studio, because it is currently pretty limited when it comes to burning HD movies (I don't think it supports BluRay at all and only half heartedly supports HD-DVD).

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
yes, absolutely Mac Pros must get here before the new year. i've been holding myself back from getting a Mac Pro until they get a blu-ray/hd dvd burner. I do video production, and i can currently shoot and edit in HD, but i want to be able to easily deliver in HD as well. the Mac Pro is expected to get a burner first, and i will be one of the first to buy one.

im in the same boat....please apple make it a blu christmas

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
Can't you stick one in yourself? I thought the pro is meant to be user-modified.. Of course it's better to wait until it comes out of the box with proper support, but if you really need it then I'd say it be easy enough to install one. They're getting cheaper by the day, too.

Yes, but DVD Studio Pro doesn't support it yet. It only supports exporting HD DVD projects to DVD-5/9, or to DLT for duplication. And Toast's support for blu-ray is very premature. I should have mentioned that i'm waiting for a Blu-ray Mac Pro, and hopefully shortly after a DVD Studio Pro upgrade that supports native Blu-ray burning and creation.

jellomizer said:
It looks like you are setting yourself up for a letdown. Macs are to popular now for revolutionary upgrades.

Macs are too popular now for Blu-ray? That doesn't make much sense. The Mac Pro, which is all i'm talking about, is a desktop for professionals, and professional videographers are wanting blu-ray. Most average consumers aren't going to get a Mac Pro, or if they do, they may or may not pay for a blu-ray upgrade, who cares. i want one, and so do a lot of other videographers that have been shooting and editing in HD for years and have clients with blu-ray players. Second, Blu-ray has been out for over a year. It's way overdue to not have at least READ support as an OPTION to a Mac Pro.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Well there is nothing stopping you from fitting your own burner in one and using Adobe Premiere CS3.

But I can't see Apple fitting a HD burner in their MacPros until they update DVD Studio, because it is currently pretty limited when it comes to burning HD movies (I don't think it supports BluRay at all and only half heartedly supports HD-DVD).

a $1000 price tag (blu-ray burning capability) is stopping me...

and yes, i cant see it until they update dvd studio either but isnt that what leopards for?

mox123

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
It's not the minor speed bump that will be significant. It's the Santa Rosa 4 GB capability with new integrated graphics that will be significant and certainly make my day. i.e. This will finally be a fully true 64-bit MacBook just in time for Leopard.

what do u mean by fully true 64-bit macbook? is the current hardware NOT truly 64-bit??

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am still trying to figure out why the delay is so large for the 17" MacBook Pro.

mbp17.jpg

It's 7-10 days for everyone, but 2-3 weeks for schools buying them. This is for both the standard and high resolution models. What else could cause a delay like that? If it is a component shortage, wouldn't that affect the similarly equipped 15" model? Something doesn't seem right. I think this is the first sign that something's coming...and it's not the MacBook....

By the way, schools trying to buy MacBooks -- they are at 5-7 days wait at the online Apple Store.

Cool... Good catch. Maybe MBP 17" will be updated with LED displays (but it was updated just a few months ago)? The 17" MBP does use a different logic board than the 15" though, so if they switch capacity to make 15" then the 17" will take longer.

modelbehaviour

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
UK
i hope this is true....i want a new macbook but im gonna wait till leopard and i don't wanna have to buy some aluminium thing....i want white!!!

mox123

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
We have a 64-bit processor but the chipset wasn't.

hmmm so what does that mean? my machine is basically 32-bit then due to the bottleneck with the chipset? how much of a performance impact would this amount to? i always thought i finally have a 64-bit mobile machine with the macbook....:confused:

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Cool... Good catch. Maybe MBP 17" will be updated with LED displays (but it was updated just a few months ago)? The 17" MBP does use a different logic board than the 15" though, so if they switch capacity to make 15" then the 17" will take longer.

I Have checked another store it's still 7-10 business day for all three models..

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
hmmm so what does that mean? my machine is basically 32-bit then due to the bottleneck with the chipset? how much of a performance impact would this amount to? i always thought i finally have a 64-bit mobile machine with the macbook....:confused:
64-bit arithmetic can be handled by the processor. 64-bit memory addressing isn't available though on Napa.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Santa Rosa Logic Will Be The First Fully 64-bit MacBook

Not yet. Until MB goes Santa Rosa (SR) you have a 32-bit logic board. That's why you can't use 4GB of ram in it yet. That's also why we think this next update has got to be SR because how else are they going to go faster? My guess is they will be offered in 2GHz and 2.2GHz speeds since MBPs go up to 2.4GHz. The big change won't be its speed but rather it's ability to see and use 4GB of ram from a fully 64-bit logic chipset inside. Combine that with Leopard and it should be noticeably faster than the current model.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
It's not the minor speed bump that will be significant. It's the Santa Rosa 4 GB capability with new integrated graphics that will be significant and certainly make my day. i.e. This will finally be a fully true 64-bit MacBook just in time for Leopard.

I have worked using a Macbook everyday since last November, and recently had my Macbook exchanged for a 2.16 GHz model with 2GB ram and a 160GB hard drive.

Having used them everyday from early morning to late at night over the past year - I could tell you from first hand experience that being able to make use of a full 4GB of ram would be extremely beneficial. Also, the severely outdated onboard graphics are a bit annoying at times. I also wonder why there is no option for a 7200 rpm hard drive, this would also definitely help things along.

I am afraid that the update will be nothing more than just a processor update. Either 2.16 GHz for the base and 2.33 GHz for the upgraded Macbook, and the same specs in every other category.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
No Way Will MacBook Remain A 32-bit Mac

I have worked using a Macbook everyday since last November, and recently had my Macbook exchanged for a 2.16 GHz model with 2GB ram and a 160GB hard drive.

Having used them everyday from early morning to late at night over the past year - I could tell you from first hand experience that being able to make use of a full 4GB of ram would be extremely beneficial. Also, the severely outdated onboard graphics are a bit annoying at times. I also wonder why there is no option for a 7200 rpm hard drive, this would also definitely help things along.

I am afraid that the update will be nothing more than just a processor update. Either 2.16 GHz for the base and 2.33 GHz for the upgraded Macbook, and the same specs in every other category.
You can easily put in your own 7200 rpm HD of choice. I sure hope you're wrong about the update. If it's not to SR I will be shocked. I don't see Apple offering a faster 32-bit MB than the bottom of the line 64-bit MBP. Makes no sense. No with the 64-bit Leopard shipping end of this month will come a 64-bit MB @ 2.2GHz.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
You can easily put in your own 7200 rpm HD of choice. I sure hope you're wrong about the update. If it's not to SR I will be shocked. I don't see Apple offering a faster 32-bit MB than the bottom of the line 64-bit MBP. Makes no sense. No with the 64-bit Leopard shipping end of this month will come a 64-bit MB @ 2.2GHz.

I hope you are right about the 64-bit. The Macbook's small size and light weight, makes it perfect for carrying around and taking back and forth on a two hour commute each day. Having a bit more performance, without increasing size or weight would only stand to sweeten the deal.

I'm also in the "Waiting for the new Mac Pro" club. Hopefully, at least one or both of them happen in the next month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.