New MacBooks "much hotter than iBooks"?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aristobrat, May 16, 2006.

1. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    AppleInsider is reporting that the new MacBook "runs much hotter than the iBook G4s it replaces."

Comments from any lucky ones that bought/used a MacBook today?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Apple never said that the Intel chips would run cooler than the G4s ...

Only that they were cool enough to use in the Portables, while the G5 variants were way too hot and power hungry.

While the G4 is a nice chip for portables, we would be stuck with small speedbumps for the forseeable future.
  3. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Ergh, sorry -- I was looking for feedback on how hot the casing gets.

As long as the heat's properly vented, it wouldn't bother me if there was a supernova going on inside. :cool:

The case of our work Dual Core 2.0GHz ThinkPads (T60) don't even get warm, even under a full CPU load. On the other hand, if I walked up to someone and touched the bottom of my 15" MBP on their bare arm after it's been working for awhile, ... they'd be upset. Verrrrry verrry upset.
  4. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    My Sony laptop runs cool, CPU sits at 35-45C. Fan never really ever turns on.

iBook's burn my lap after a while.

Why would the MB be hot?
  5. aristobrat thread starter macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Several folks had MBPs that were significantly hotter than their older PowerBooks. I returned mine because of the issue.

Was hoping to hear that the MBs don't have the same issue.
  6. imacintel macrumors 68000

Mar 12, 2006
    #6!:mad: I am getting pushed over da edge with the iMac and probs, I wanna MB to replace perhaps.
  7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I saw two at the Chicago Apple Store today, and no, they're not hot at all. These had been on for a few hours, and people had been constantly playin' with them, and the 17" MacBook Pro next to them was a LOT hotter. They're mildly warm, at best. I really, REALLY had to restrain myself to keep from shelling out the money for a black one right then and there. Or financing it, as I would most likely have to do.

But yeah, warm, not hot at all. Apple's hit a homerun with these.
  8. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

May 1, 2005
    Florida West Coast
    It gets pretty warm. Maybe not as hot as my MBP but close. too soon to tell for sure
  9. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2004
    the back left side gets pretty warm, but it's not really a distraction.
  10. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Whoops, that's a weird double-post, with a 5 minute delay.
  11. Rend It macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2003
    United States
    Apple's response to the heat issue

Did anyone read this knowledgebase article on high temps in portables?

I know that the new MB and MBP have higher operating speeds and such (compared to PB and iBooks), but the evidence in many other threads that replacing the thermal paste with a proper application significantly reduces temperatures makes me question Apple's intents. I'm guessing they've decided it's too expensive to include a "proper" thermal paste application in production, so they're just covering their arses by saying that "Laptops get hot" and "Don't put it on your lap".

Of course one would expect the MBs to not be as hot as the MBPs since they have integrated graphics. The Radeon 9600 in my AlBook G4 seems to contribute way more heat than the G4 itself. Just because the MB has less power output to deal with is no excuse to screw up the thermal paste application. I think I see a profitable business in 2-day turn around thermal paste re-application. Other World Computing?