Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
NY
The regular white Macbooks are shipping in 5-7 days while the black is at 24 and the MBPs are also at 24 hours. Any chance of Merom Macbooks soon? ;)

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
No.
The white macbooks are the more popular due to their lower price and they need to make more to keep with demand... the blackbooks aren't selling as well so there's a large stockpile therefore the quicker shipping times. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't expect Merom in a MacBook for a while.

Just get it. Everyone who asks this question should really think about what they're asking. The MacBook came out not too long ago. It's still a new model, and yes, a new model is already in the works, but it always is.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
A different response. YES - you will see Merom in Apple notebooks soon. Merom will be shipping in about a month and Apple will have no viable choice but to use it as soon as it is released. It is pin compatable with the current chip so minimal time will be needed to make the switch. Apple sells a premium product - they can not use the older Intel chip while others use the latest. New MBP with Merom in September is very likely IMO - not sure about seeing them in the Macbook that soon though.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've been looking into Merom and integrated graphics. Is it possible to use the GMA950? Otherwise you're going to have to use a dedicated solution or wait until Santa Rosa and the X3000 next year.

I'd expect updates before the end of the year if not MWSF.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
SuperSnake2012 said:
The regular white Macbooks are shipping in 5-7 days while the black is at 24 and the MBPs are also at 24 hours. Any chance of Merom Macbooks soon? ;)

Both models are selling great according to most analysts. however since k-12 schools buy on a budget and buy large quantities, the white MBs are going first. Merom won't be in a MB before it's in a MBP - but it's a nice thought.

I do expect the MB to be updated before the holiday buying season, but it'll be just a speed bump of the current processors.

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
I would imagine that as soon as other companies start shipping 13.3/14" laptops with Merom, then Apple will have to do the same with the Macbook.

Forget old revision patterns of Apple too, there are different rules now.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
fewture said:
I would imagine that as soon as other companies start shipping 13.3/14" laptops with Merom, then Apple will have to do the same with the Macbook.

Forget old revision patterns of Apple too, there are different rules now.

Exactly, the MacBook is not just competing with Apples now. It can't afford to lag behind the competition. They went in aggressively with the MacBook, and if they want to keep the cutting edge idea, they will need to upgrade to merom as soon as they can.

Also I read here somewhere that Apple will be getting first bite of the cherry with merom. Would it not look great to have it's entire line faster than anything the competition has?

I think MacBooks will go merom quickly (but maybe not immediately).

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
dswoodley said:
Both models are selling great according to most analysts. however since k-12 schools buy on a budget and buy large quantities, the white MBs are going first. Merom won't be in a MB before it's in a MBP - but it's a nice thought.

I do expect the MB to be updated before the holiday buying season, but it'll be just a speed bump of the current processors.

what k-12 school on this planet are buying macbook in large quantities?!? what k-12 school is even buying a MACBOOK.?? i dont think that they are buying anyyy laptops. def. not a good explanation why the shipping is 5-7 days. but who knows

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
Apple Corps said:
A different response. YES - you will see Merom in Apple notebooks soon. Merom will be shipping in about a month and Apple will have no viable choice but to use it as soon as it is released.

Your assumption depends very much upon what other manufacturers do with Merom. If Dell, for example, choose to market Merom as the "premium" version of Yonah, then only the more expensive laptops will have it in thus meaning Apple don’t really have to stick it in the MacBook but do the Pro.

I’d love to see Merom in the MacBook, but I’m sceptical at this point.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
codo said:
Your assumption depends very much upon what other manufacturers do with Merom. If Dell, for example, choose to market Merom as the "premium" version of Yonah, then only the more expensive laptops will have it in thus meaning Apple don’t really have to stick it in the MacBook but do the Pro.

I’d love to see Merom in the MacBook, but I’m sceptical at this point.

IIRC what will happen when Core 2 is released is that it will eventually move down towards the current bottom of the line, so we will see 1.66Ghz Core 2 Duo chips as well. Simply put, the older Core chips are essentially completely replaced by the Core 2 variants.

It makes sense too, after all "slower" chips are basically those that fail to make the grade for higher clock speeds, and it is not like when Intel switches over to the new microarchitecture their yields will increase tremendously. They will still have chips that can't make the grade, and likewise get clocked down and marketed as budget chips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2 said:
Merom, Intel's first mobile version of the Core 2 processor, will be released in August 2006 and will replace the Intel Core Duo line of mobile processors. Merom will largely have the same features as Conroe, but with more emphasis on low power consumption to enhance notebook battery life. Intel has claimed that Merom will provide 20% more performance yet maintain the same battery-life as the Yonah-based Core Duo. Merom will be the first Intel mobile processor to feature EM64T 64-bit extensions.

Intel has stated that the first version of Merom will be drop-in compatible with the current Core Duo platform, requiring at most a BIOS update. It will have the same thermal envelope and the same 667 MT/s bus rate.

The Merom processors are expected to be labeled as the "T5x00" and "T7x00" Core 2 Duo models, with the T5500 clocked at 1.66 GHz, the T5600 clocked at 1.83 GHz, the T7200 clocked at 2.0 GHz, the T7400 clocked at 2.16 GHz, and the T7600 clocked at 2.33 GHz. The T5x00 models are expected to come with 2 MB of shared L2 cache, and the T7x00 models are expected to come with 4 MB of shared L2 cache.

A second wave of Merom processors featuring an 800 MT/s FSB and using the new Socket P is expected to launch in April 2007. These chips will be part of the platform codenamed "Santa Rosa".

What I foresee is the "consumer lines" will get the Meroms with 2MB of cache, while the Macbook Pro will get the higher tiered processors.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
generik said:
IIRC what will happen when Core 2 is released is that it will eventually move down towards the current bottom of the line, so we will see 1.66Ghz Core 2 Duo chips as well. Simply put, the older Core chips are essentially completely replaced by the Core 2 variants.

It makes sense too, after all "slower" chips are basically those that fail to make the grade for higher clock speeds, and it is not like when Intel switches over to the new microarchitecture their yields will increase tremendously. They will still have chips that can't make the grade, and likewise get clocked down and marketed as budget chips.

What I foresee is the "consumer lines" will get the Meroms with 2MB of cache, while the Macbook Pro will get the higher tiered processors.
As much as I love Merom as well, I don't see it immediately being put into the MacBook at launch. I expect one more Yonah line in the MacBook at least. 2.0/2.16 Ghz and then Merom. The MacBook will be competitive, have a low price, and have a good profit margin. The MacBook is a consumer laptop and can afford a wait before going to Merom. The MacBook Pro needs to hop onto Merom since it's seen is a portable workstation.

MacBook = Core Duo (For now)
MacBook Pro = Core 2 Duo (August - September)

If Apple decides to put in the Merom into the Macbook, I expect to see a dedicated video chipset as well. No one has answered my GMA950/X3000 question yet.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
mac000 said:
what k-12 school on this planet are buying macbook in large quantities?!? what k-12 school is even buying a MACBOOK.?? i dont think that they are buying anyyy laptops. def. not a good explanation why the shipping is 5-7 days. but who knows

ummm...the school district where my wife works which just bought over 2000? :eek:

Yes, even broke school districts get grants and such for computer purchases. Some even have real money to spend. Or in the case of my state (Alaska), which is flush with oil money, computers for every student is the order of the day - well, every teacher and lots of students anyway.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
GimmeSlack12 said:
The Macbooks have only been out for about 3 months. I'd give it until next spring until they are updated.

try less than 2 months.

Merom will go in the MBPs soon after it's available, and the macbooks a few months later. Apple can't lag too far behind if other consumer laptops get it soon, but macbooks are selling great right now and are quite new, so no reason to update for a while.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
mac000 said:

yepp, in the school district my fiance grew up in, even the elementary schools had large numbers of brand new iBooks, and continue to buy more every year, so i'm sure they've ordered MBs as well. they kept them in their library, and just like any other book, kids were allowed to "check out" the ibooks.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
codo - not sure I understand the point of your response to my post - you appear to be in agreement with my projection but go on about some "assumptions" or responses to DELL.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
SuperSnake2012 said:
lol you're not serious are you?

kaboutertje

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I do think we'll be seeing a speed bump soon.
I want to buy one around september and I think we will see at least:

- A small speed bumb 2.16/2.33
- 512mb in a single slot possibility?
- lowest model equiped with a dvd burner?

But maybe I'm going for a macbook pro it depends on what merom's performance is compared to yonah.

BAspecialCake

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2006
Live on the IGN Boards
The Macbooks won't have it...

Currently the difference between the Macbook and the Macboo Pro is arguably minimal. To justify the enormous price gap between the two, Apple would be wise to not even consider Merom in the Macbook yet. I don't even see Apple competing with other consumer laptops so that theory can fly out the window. Why would they? Apple has it's own OS. If it wasn't for Bootcamp would this discussion even be taking place?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Apple Corps said:
New MBP with Merom in September is very likely IMO - not sure about seeing them in the Macbook that soon though.
Maybe shipping early September, but I would expect a lesser announcement at WWDC alongside the other Pro Mac upgrades.

As for starving the MacBooks of Merom to distinguish between the two portable ranges, tosh. There are lots of things that would seperate the two lines aside from processor. Merom based MacBooks will join the Pros by Christmas or at a time when other Windows laptops of a similar price to the MacBook start to ship with them, whichever is sooner.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
BAspecialCake said:
The Macbooks aren't meant to superfast...

Currently the difference between the Macbook and the Macboo Pro is arguably minimal. To justify the enormous price gap between the two, Apple would be wise to not even consider Merom in the Macbook yet. I don't even see Apple competing with other consumer laptops so that theory can fly out the window. Why would they? Apple has it's own OS. If it wasn't for Bootcamp would this discussion even be taking place?

You need to stop thinking as the CPU as the defining component of choice to consumers. Sure, it’s important in computing terms, but it’s not used to distinguish as much now due to Intel pumping these chips out at such astonishing volumes and prices - hence the use of a Dual Core chip in a mini.

The concern now for buyers should be the GPU IMO. They are going to get a quality CPU, in most cases, but the GPU is arguably now one of the most important factors regarding user experience and its importance is only likely to increase over the next year, particularly in the PC market.

If you think like this, the Apple notebooks are a world apart.

My second point would be - So what? Why do you think for the Pro to be a good machine, the MacBook has to be sub par? People are still buying the Pro, aren’t they? This problem doesn’t exist. If you don’t want to pay more for the Pro, don’t.

However, to the average consumer right now, Merom is of little benefit because it's unlikely average Joe is maxing out his or her Core Duo regularly or has the need for 64 bit, so I don't see the rush on Apple's part hence my sceptical thinking. I'd love them to, don’t get me wrong - Pick up a MacBook with Merom and I'll be a happy guy – But I know the benefits of the chip, the MacBook’s core target don’t know or don’t care.

The Pro, however, is a totally different story. They will get it in there ASAP; there is just no reason not to.

Just my thoughts.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Anyway, I will be buying a Macbook in the next few weeks but I'll probably wait a little bit in August to see what happens. I just want to place the order before the free iPod rebate runs out. Hopefully they will put the slower Merom chips in the Macbooks to compete with other companies. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.