New Macmini Ripple Effect?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DJ1UK, Jul 30, 2005.

1. DJ1UK Guest

Hi All,

I know theres been some talk about the new iBooks and the ripple effect, but is the new macmini able to achieve the ripple effect? I know the old one couldn't.

Thanks

DJ

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

its the exact same computer as the last revision o_O just 512 RAM instead of 256

3. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

You need atleast 64MB vRAM. The Mac Mini has a Radeon 9200 with 32MB vRAM.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

no you don't need 64MB of vRAM my 12" powerbook 1Ghz has the 5200Go with 32MB vRAM and it has the "ripple effect"

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It also needs to support Shader 2.0.

Here's the MacRumors' FAQ regarding CoreImage.

6. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

1st everybody for the last time there is no new mac mini...

same computer, more ram and for the 1,42 BT & Airport standard...

its like saying a car has a newer version because they make one series with leather seats standard... the engine remains the same, and thats what happened with the mac mini...

and who cares about the ripple effect anyway... you only see it when you add new widgets, and then you need to use dashboard... wich I don't anyway...

yes it's cool the first time when you just installed tiger, and open dashboard and fling some widgets onto your screen, but then the wow factor fades away and you start using the computer for what it's needed anyway: (at least for me) To work ;-)

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Someone else said this earlier this week, it's not so much that it's "cool" to see the ripple effect, but that your graphics card supports CoreImage and can take full advantage of Tiger's features.

8. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

The fact that some features of the OS touted by Apple have to be turned off because the hardware isn't able to suport it is pretty bad in my opinion. Apple should have put the same GPU/processor as the iBook in the Mini and ditched the Bluetooth/Airport - keep them BTO. Everyone will make use of better aprocessor and GPU, not everyone will make use of Airport or bluetooth.

Infact, I wonder if adding the bluetooth is an incentive to "encourage" customers to purchase the much more expensive BT keyboard/mouse - hence making more money from the mini.