Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, here's the deal. It's a Monday afternoon and work's a bit slow and I probably haven't had nearly enough coffee, but I was thinking how cool it would be if some of the more helpful members of MacRumors were given special/unique titles.

I was thinking this because seeing people like yenko with such a mediocre title (member or regular or something) doesn't really do him/her justice and if his/her title was changed to something like Mac Doctor/Doctoresse, then the newbies would know that the advice he/she gives is good. Of course, there are many others in the same position such as CanadaRAM, Mitthrawnuruodo and Duff-Man. The deserving people would be determined by the moderators, of course.

Is this a good idea or am I just still a little hung-over form the weekend? :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
only problem is that it could lead to dissention and people claiming that they deserve the titles as well, could be seen as favorism and whatnot, im not sure that it would be worth the hassle that it could cause in the end.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, very true. It's much more subjective than the current system. That's why I'd leave it entirely up to the mods to work out what was happening, but they've probably got enough on their hands as is.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Where would it end?

Plus all the titles that are well deserved in the Political Section... Annoying Guy, Bush Defender, Guy Who Hates Bush, Blow Hard, Nerd Boy, etc.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
some forums let you choose your own...

not advocating it, i like the idea of a clear post-count-based rank to avoid a lot of confusion about who's new and who's not. Plus, then people would want images in signatures, and all sorts of things that make forums look like *ahem* garbage...

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Where would it end?
Guy Who Hates Bush
You forgot the "s" on the end of "Guy"... :rolleyes:

I think that this would be a great idea, but the selections may cause some uproars indeed...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why do people in forums feel the need to have titles? Why can't we all be members and the only people with a varied title other than people who mod and admin the boards would be people who pay for it such as the contributors?
Titles are nothing. But honestly when I was younger titles meant everything to me so I guess in a way I totally get it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just to confirm, the concept was mainly thought up on the basis of two reasons:

1. As a way of encouraging helpful new posters such as yenko (recognising their contributions) to continue their good work and their association with MacRumors.

2. To help the newbies determine the good advice from the somewhat less useful advice.

It's purely for technical information about Macs and has nothing to do with whether the member is well liked or helpful in other areas of the forums, such as the community section. I can't imagine it'd be all that difficult for the moderators/gods to be able to recognise someone who seems to have a particularly keen knowledge of Macs but I could be wrong. It's really for them to decide I suppose. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
neocell said:
So how was that case of VB?

VB! :eek:

Well, at least you didn't ask about Fosters. :p

I'm more of a Coopers fan myself, if I drink beer at all. Otherwise it's Sambuca all the way. :D

Macmaniac, I was thinking of keeping it much simpler and having just a single title for some of the more technologically aware members. Judging by recent threads, Genius is out of the question though. :p

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I feel that mad jew is still hung over from the weekend. ;) :)

It might seem like a nobel suggestion, however it would cause an uproar between members. Plus, just because someone is a Guru or Doctor in one field doesn't mean they know the gamut. It's mainly experience(s) and opinion(s) on forums and issues.

Some people here are regulars while other are not, and other used to be regulars and are no longer due to work/school (like myself). :)

No I do not think it will fly well, there is also a case of bias claims. :rolleyes:

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
mad jew said:
VB! :eek:

Well, at least you didn't ask about Fosters. :p

I'm more of a Coopers fan myself, if I drink beer at all. Otherwise it's Sambuca all the way. :D
Next guess would have been XXXX, Coopers meh? Cascade Premium Lager?!? Yum Yum Yum, that's my fav

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
Its monday afternoon, where do you live? :confused:

edit: oh wait..... :rolleyes: **thats what location is for**

perhaps your title could say what your profession is, such as video editor, or what programs computers you are strong at, FCP Pro ect.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Good advice is a bit like obscenity ... it is difficult to quantify, but you recognize it more readily when you come across it regularly. Even reasonably well-written and lengthy replies to questions can be riddled with inaccuracies.

Those who post here should realize that it is up to them to place appropriate stock in what they read. Offering up special titles may also add to the elitist attitude which is already evident on occasion.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
neocell said:
Next guess would have been XXXX, Coopers meh? Cascade Premium Lager?!? Yum Yum Yum, that's my fav

Coopers - is great!
Cascade - is great!
Boags - even better!
I also am particularly partial to Little Creatures (a W.A. Pale Ale), and Guiness, and... sigh sooo many beers!

XXXX - ewwww nasty!
V.B. - stopped drinking this one when I hit 30 - harder recoveries!!!
Foster's - the worst of them all - thats why we only export it!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm afraid that I'd have to agree with many of the other forum members who have posted in this thread.

Besides, if people really want to say something (completely unverifiable) about their experience or qualifications, then they can put it in their sig or within their profile.

If I'm in doubt about anybody, it's pretty easy to run a search on all their posts in order to get an idea on the quality of their advice.

Spend more than a few days here and you can get an idea of who walks the walk, anyway. There are plenty of people here who don't heavily participate in banter or the community sections of the forum, but consistently give excellent support to others who are having problems with their Mac — most if us know who they are and will treat their posts with the respect they deserve.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I like the idea, I can even imagine the name. In keeping with 'Mac' why not titles such as 'Disk Utility' ;)

Oh and mad jew you should be included, stop being modest :p

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Now that would make an interesting thread.
Putting out the welcome mat for newbies

homewhybother.jpg

Not directed at you, BV.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Cinnamon Swirl said:
Be careful what you ask for ... :)

Compared to many other forums I've participated in, this forum seems relatively benign as far as cliques go... even if you do do have the title 'newbie', most long-term posters will treat useful contributions with respect.

Sure, there's going to be people who stick together, but that's usually through shared experience and attitudes — an occasionally unfortunate but also unavoidable feature of human communities.

My admiration is particularly reserved for those who may hold vehemently and firmly-held opposing political/religious ideas similar to my own yet don't let that get in the way of enjoying each other's contributions in other areas of the forum. In other words, not carrying a grudge.

But swinging back to the original topic, the idea of elevating and singling out people on their perceived qualities is anathema to me and is so subjective that it really is guaranteed to cause unnecessary friction and resentment.

There are also those who adeptly and frequently switch between light-hearted silliness and incredibly helpful posts — but I'm not going to list them here. To me, these forum members are the real jewels of these boards.

Any time a thread is started with the intention of praise i.e. Who would you like to meet? Who is the most helpful? Who has the best 'tar? Who is on your buddy list? etc., there will always be people who get unjustifiably ignored or forgotten and may perhaps then feel alienated or excluded from the community.

I just don't like it at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.