New Macs will be kind of crippled?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SavageLLama77, Mar 7, 2007.

1. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm planning to buy a MBP when Santa Rosa comes out in May. Which means I'll have Leopard and all that. So, my question is, "Is it OK and safe to buy a new Mac at this time or will I have a buggy computer that is impaired because it is new? Please give ALL the info you have on this subject. Thanks!

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Rev A. Macs (if the MB/P with Santa Rosa is & especially laptops) have been known to have some issues. Just look at the Macbooks when they were released (trackpad staining, etc.). I'd wait for a little while after they are released. You may be able to see if there are any major problems.

3. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

To be honest and i love Macs, yes. With new OS and a new chip there are bound to be problems, its unavoiable but apple usaully does a good job limiting those problems and fixing those problems for free. but like what has been said on this site a million times. NEED vs. WANT. you could wait it out like im planning on doing till al the bugs are out. or go boldly and buy it when it comes out.

4. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

These 'problems' I'm talking about are things like 'bugginess' meaning slower loading times for apps, and pretty much slower everything. Apple won't care about that, I just hear that people are waiting til fall to get a mac so they can 'fix the bugs'.....WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!? Inform me please!;)

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

They mean things like horrid LCD screens, trackpad staining, hard drive failures, etc. Mostly to do with hardware, not the OS and other software.

6. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

A hardware revision that fixes problems like the transition from iBook G3 to iBook G4 (iBook G3 had many logic board problems and Apple fixed this with the iBook G4).
    If you are waiting for Santa Rosa, wait for Penryn (at the end of the year). Penryn will include 1000mhz fsb speed(I think) and SSE4.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

That is a pretty 'off-base' comment. You have been posting this crap since you drove up. The only thing 'crippled' is your posts.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you need it then buy it, and if there are any problems they should be fixed for free, either with the warranty, or through a software patch. If you don't need it it wouldn't hurt to wait for a few more weeks, to see if there are any problems with them.

9. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

### My two cents...I will be buying the Santa Rosa (SR) MBP. Though penryn sounds cool, I seriously doubt it will find it's way into a MBP before Feb 08. A long time to wait. Yes, the santa rosa requires new hardware, but it isnt going to bring on a thousand bugs like the shift to Intel did. And..the shift to penryn will require MUCH bigger changes so where's the logic in waiting for penryn versus SR? Personally, I think the 800 fsb, etc has been worth the wait, but debatable. The "waiting game" has its limits!

peace

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To the OP, I would wait if your can. There are bound to be a few issues with a new release. On the other hand, I also don't think those issues will be the same as the ones with the Intel switch- probably just minor things.

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Don't worry about it. If there is a problem with your machine, Apple will replace it. If you can, make sure you have it a few weeks before you really need it, so you have time to get it swapped just in case.

In terms of Rev. A, every product Apple releases could be classed as Rev. A, because it will have something new in it, or something replaced. I mean, what would be the point of Apple releasing a machine that was exactly the same as the old ones? Yes, Apple does fix problems that are found with their products, but it's not like Apple announces after a month or two that their "Rev. B" macs are now officially flawless. The longer you wait will be beneficial, but if you wait for Apple to iron out all the bugs, a new computer will be being released that very next tuesday.

Buy when you need, but weight it towards just after Apple releases a new product, because then you will have time to replace any duds that you get, on the unlikely possibility that you do get a dud, of course.

12. ericschmerick macrumors regular

ericschmerick

If you need a computer, buy a computer. If it has a problem, take it back and get if fixed (or replaced), or sell it on ebay to the "unsuspecting masses" for 0.95 * the price you paid anyway (at least until now, anyway, you can unload macs for a very healthy fraction of original purchase price on ebay).

Seriously, buy a computer. Buy one today, buy one "when whatever comes out". If you need one, buy one. What is the value of waiting until May for something not-yet-announced to come out? Does it exceeds the differential value you perceive by having a computer x% faster or nicer for the 9-18 months that it's the "cream of the crop"?

I bought a macbook 5 minutes after they were announced. There was no way I was gonna wait, with my pokey 1.25 powerbook, for some future announcement. Other than the expanding battery issue (apple replaced my battery), I've had no problems. There have been no issues that prevented me from fully enjoying my machine, that's for sure.