New Mactel Benchmarks; UK MacUser Magasine

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by loneAzdgari, Jun 23, 2005.

1. loneAzdgari macrumors member

Apr 4, 2003
    UK, KENT
    My latest issue of MacUser arrived about 15 minutes ago with a set of detailed benchmarks in Xbench in comparison to a 20in G5 iMac and a 2.7GHz G5 along with some decent commentary.

Sorry about the picture quality, my scanner broke literally 2 minutes ago and now my camera won't accept my 256MB CF card. Something or someone doesn't want me to post these. I'm also bound by the 250k image limit on Photobucket so if anyone has any decent hosting send me a PM and i'll give you the full 1MB image.

Here goes:
  2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    UH OH! MacUser are in for it BIG TIME... Apple distinctly says in the license agreement that NO benchmarks are to be published as they do not represent final product at all...

Well done MacUser... perhaps the first to be sued by Apple and for such a simple mistake. In all fairness to Apple, the people who read MacUser are usually less knowledgeable than the people on these forums (perhaps mac interested people looking to switch) and when they read such benchmarks they may be easily swayed.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I think that pretty well sums it up. They're kinda irrelevant at this stage. :(
  4. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    If they're irrelevant, why is Apple so concerned about them? If the shorter bar is better, it looks like the did great in that testing anyway.

To the OP, e-mail the file to "" and I will host the file for you.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Because people will think they're relevant and misinterpret them.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The shorter bar is worse... but in the notes they remind you to take account of the fact that the benchmarking takes advantage of Altivec which Rosetta doesn't. It's also still benchmarking emulation and not native apps.
  7. zakatov macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2005
    South Florida
    Aren't these the Rosetta benchmark scores published online like two weeks ago? Then no new news here: Rosetta is slow
  8. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Or as Apple puts it: Fast (enough)...
  9. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck

Yeah right Apple, another subjective twist of the truth from their marketing department, or LIE. Reading some of the info on their products info pages I have to remind myself that its suppose to be non-fiction.

ducks :)
  10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Why would you say rosetta is slow? Seems like it keeps up considering it is emulated on a machine that will never be in the consumers hands, and has a processor that we don't even care about. Especially when the intel gpu is kicking it like that, hope that translates into good preformance in games, somone needs to kick in a better GPU and see how she runs.

Bottom line is, looks like Games will run OK on the mactels to come as they benifit the most from the lack on OpenGL emulation. So if the Powermactels will run cpu wise as fast as say.. dual 1.8G5s, then I'm happy with rosetta, and with better GPUs we can have good game stations without recompiling.