New Magic Trackpad settings not showing up in System Preferences?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Imola Ghost, Aug 23, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

I just bought a new Apple Magic Trackpad and after playing with it at the store I went into the settings to set a few things however when I got mine home and installed/paired it with the Bluetooth, I'm not showing any settings in my System Preferences for the Trackpad.

Idea?

2. macrumors 6502a

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm pretty new to mac's so I don't know how to accomplish that.

In the store it was showing up under the HARDWARE section right next to the mouse icon. However I don't have that.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

After my iMac was setting there for a moment, a window popped up saying there was a software update for the Magic Trackpad. So this probably enables the other features in the system preferences.

5. macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

After you paired it up did you check Software Update, I think there's a OS update needed for those.

6. macrumors 6502

3lionsbecks

Yes, you got it. You need to do the update and then it will work as advertised.

7. macrumors newbie

MMullan

'had the same problem - I should have known better

-Thanks folks

8. macrumors newbie

The solutions here above did not work for me at all. Personally I think this is a very BIG blunder/flaw of Apple!

You have to manually (!!) download the software for trackpad and that will do the trick:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1066?viewlocale=en_US

Grtz, Rnbnoud

9. macrumors newbie

thx a lot for that thread, Rnbnoud!

bought a mac mini early Sep 2010 (by that time, one would expect the trackpad showing in system pref), then bought the magic trackpad today (Sep 25, 2010) and....guess what. No symbol of trackpad in System Pref. Checked for update software about 3 times at least, restarted, shut down, started again. Searched for a solution on Apple support, but found nothing. Luckily, you guys have helped me, otherwise, I would have stormed, once again (had lots of problems setting up the extreme base station the other day cos it did not recognize Starhub modem. The Apple guy helped me over the phone) into Apple reseller store and gave them my opinion.

10. macrumors newbie

Kevin Rohrer

I just installed the Trackpad and after getting OSX to recognize it, I did the auto Update. My iMac found the 78.6meg update and took care of the problem.

11. macrumors regular

For a lot of people that have the problem with the Magic Trackpad options not showing up in system preferences, it's because they have another 3rd party app interfering with proper detection of the device. I had USB Overdrive installed so my magic trackpad options weren't showing up properly. Once I uninstalled USB Overdrive, my magic trackpad options showed up.