New mail.app icon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nesbitt_a, Apr 19, 2005.

1. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed the new Mail.app icon in Tiger? I actually prefer the old version!

{thoughts?}

2. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Thanks for Posting this!

I have ALWAYS thought that the Mail icon is plain and uninspired. Yet, it has remained the same since 10.0! With every OS upgrade I have waited for its demise, but nothing! I really think they can make it much, much better; it's so, banal and what not.

Well, you get my drift. Even the USPS has better graphics... and you can't get more T-Rex than the archaic USPS...

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Got a problem with it? Just change it then! It's pretty easy with OS X.
    There are hundreds of mail app icons out there!
    I probably have around 10-15 in my icon collection, but use the default one as I can live with it!

4. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

I liked the old one better, think the updated Tiger version is a little 'fat' looking and a bit too blue. I'm anal enough to let this annoy me.

The mail icon may be plain and uninspired, but its certainly clear what the app does from looking at it!

5. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

It might be cool to look other alternatives. You got any suggestions on which ones are best?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

try
    interfacelift.com
    or
    iconfactory.com

I hope you know how to change icons and the rest.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I like the positioning of the bird/hawk/eagle better on the new one, but wish they'd have kept the old blue background.

I like the Mail icon. What else would you use... an envelope? Now THERE'S banal for you! :p

And don't even get me started on USPS... IMO they majorly screwed up when they moved away from the logo they used in the '60s - '80s. The "new" one is just f-ugly!

Edit: I can't wait until all the companies are tired of messing with their classic logos to turn them into new 3-D shiny monstrosities and go back to basics: 2-D black and white, maybe 2-color. Am I dreaming? Yeah, probably. ;)

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Here's a sampler of Mail icons I've collected. I use the Charlie Brown one at the bottom right.

Attached Files:

10. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

I really like AirMail icon in the middle.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i take it those are icons you have collected over time? would it be possible for you to email them to me?? eonapocalypse3@gmail.com :D TIA

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Apple PAYS someone to tweak these things so minimally?

I'm all for refinement, but COME ON!! This is either 1) change for change's sake or 2) someone trying to slip in a slightly modified version that nobody else will catch yet will be able to call his own.

Tiger better have NO BUGS if they had the extra resources to have somebody darken a sky and rotate a bird...

13. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

You mean use good design instead of eye-candy? That might actually require them hiring somebody with talent.

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

That's funny because when I put together the sampler I noticed the AirMail icon and wondered why I wasn't using it instead. I guess 'cause I'm a big Peanuts fan.

The Airmail icon is in this collection.

15. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I agree. This "change" is so slight why even bother with it? I mean most of time the icon is going to be smaller when it's on the Dock that you're not going to notice any slight changes like that.

Awimoway, where did you get those icons at? Some of those are really nice :D

And when you change an apps icon for the Dock, do you just do the ole "copy and paste" in the Get Info window for the app in the Applications Folder? Then, remove the old icon from the dock, then drag 'n drop the new icon on the Dock?

16. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha
    I guess they tried to 'refine' the icon a little, maybe made it a little more blue to match the new-look apple and spotlight icons? It looks fat to me, prefer the older version.

17. Awimoway macrumors 65816

OS X icon collecting used to be a hobby of mine, although I haven't collected much for the last 1 1/2 - 2 years, so I'm sure there's a ton of great mail icons out there that I don't have. I use CandyBar (from iconfactory.com) to make system-wide changes and the Get Info method for individual apps and folders.

The SNOW.E 2 collections are my favorite, and once I found them, I kind of tired of looking for new icons because everything else paled by comparison.

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Cool thanks, will check it out :)

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the latest candybar also lets you change the application icons from right there, and allows you to change icons that are used within applications as well, its becoming a pretty powerful app

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Has anybody found a Postman Pat icon? That would be great for Mail.app.

There's a Windows desktop theme for Postman Pat, so I'm jealous.

[​IMG]

21. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Quick question

If you change Mail's icon in the Dock, will you still see the small red star with a number in it when you have new unread emails?

22. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

23. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, the red notification star is an overlay on top of the icon.

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes you will, same when you change any app that uses notifications like that

25. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all